Why are flatpaks so HUGE?

Story: AudioTube – stream music from YouTubeTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 29, 2024
3:35 PM EDT
I want to install AudioTube on my computer but in the Software Manager for Mint where it's at it says that the package will take up 2.6 gigs of space after installation. 2.6 GIG'S!?! For one program? That only plays audio tracks? Holy Cow! Why are they that huge? What's the reason?

I want to try it out but I don't want to commit almost 3 gigs of space to do it.
the_doctor

Aug 29, 2024
3:48 PM EDT
That is strange. According to their website:

https://flathub.org/apps/org.kde.audiotube

Install size is 53.53 MiB.
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 29, 2024
3:51 PM EDT
I'm not installing one program that takes up almost 3 gigs of apace and all it does is PLAY music.
flufferbeer

Aug 29, 2024
6:16 PM EDT
flatpaks also seem as a HUGE deal besides a HUGE size :| Maybe even approaching the point of JRRTolkien LOTR's "One Ring to rule them all" ?????

For Scott_Ruecker, maybe best to find the native installation tool (iirc one of the APTs for Mint), use a compatible non-Flatpak pkg or even build AudioTube from GPL'd source if that's possible. pacman for ArchLinux.

Wouldn't myself rely on flatpaks unless DESPERATELY needed!

2c
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 29, 2024
6:30 PM EDT
It's only available as a Flatpak in the Mint Software Manager so I guess I'll need to teach myself how to compile it from source code somehow. I have no idea how to do it.
the_doctor

Aug 30, 2024
12:28 AM EDT
The problem may be KDE dependencies required to run the program. I've run into that loading programs like KMyMoney or K3b on Linux Mint using MATE as the default desktop environment.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 30, 2024
7:54 PM EDT
I wanted to install Mission Center from the Software Manager in Mint but it's a flatpak too.. 3.5gigs! For one program?!? No way. There's got to be another way. There's this AppImage that the Mission Center article on the news-wire talks about but I've ever heard of it.

It just sad that a lot of programs that I would want to install I won't because there too damn huge.
gus3

Sep 30, 2024
8:43 PM EDT
Quoting:It just sad that a lot of programs that I would want to install I won't because there too damn huge.

"You kids have it too easy. Back in my day, we had to adjust the monitor timing, on a CRT."

"Oh yeah? You had a television? We had a noisy printed terminal!"

(Been there...)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!