Why?

Story: Welcome the New Breed of Linux UsersTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
notbob

Feb 02, 2015
2:16 PM EDT
Why?

Why we gotta tolerate uneducated Linux users? They already have Windows dumbed down to the point of lowest common denominator. Or, if one has the scratch, one can choose to be even dumber on a Mac.

Yer saying we should let Linux become the OS of morons by making Linux even more moron friendly, yes? Sorry, but I don't agree. I mean, c'mon. They already have the big two OS's available, right? So, why should we allow the one OS that requires some effort on the part of yer gray matter turn into yet another platform for pea brains?

I'm agin' it! ;)
albinard

Feb 02, 2015
2:23 PM EDT
Because not everyone is as opinionated, intolerant, and obnoxious as you are.
vainrveenr

Feb 02, 2015
4:24 PM EDT
Quoting:So, why should we allow the one OS that requires some effort on the part of yer gray matter turn into yet another platform for pea brains?

Besides that so-called one OS, there do happen to be the *BSD's, e.g., FreeBSD and OpenBSD -- see the Reddit comparison piece 'Linux vs BSD, the difference? Free or OpenBSD?' found at http://www.reddit.com/r/BSD/comments/1e43hn/linux_vs_bsd_the_difference_free_or_openbsd/

Even within the full gamut of Linux distros, the self-assembled Linux From Scratch requires somewhat more "effort on the part of yer gray matter" than the rest.

Feb 02, 2015
6:42 PM EDT
There is dumbing down, and there is dumbing down.

The problem with the Windows style dumbing down, is that there is little means of getting to the guts and sorting something out, without doing a full reinstall, once something breaks.
jdixon

Feb 02, 2015
9:13 PM EDT
> Because not everyone is as opinionated, intolerant, and obnoxious as you are.

Hey, everyone needs a role model and something to shoot for. :)
seatex

Feb 02, 2015
10:10 PM EDT
There will always be Slackware. keepin' it old school. ;-)
mbaehrlxer

Feb 03, 2015
1:20 AM EDT
because everyone should have ability to use a computer based on Free Software without getting a degree in computer science (ok, that's an intentional exaggeration :-) noone is forcing you to use that simplified version.

and if you are a real power user you chouldn't care less, because you'd use the commandline. i have been using an OLPC XO running sugar for years because i simply didn't care about the GUI. most of my work is done in a terminal.

greetings, eMBee.
kikinovak

Feb 03, 2015
6:26 AM EDT
The article doesn't distinguish between *using* a Linux system and *administrating* it. Some of my users don't even know that they work on a Linux system. Yet they do their everyday work on Slackware. (http://www.microlinux.fr/mled.php).
gary_newell

Feb 03, 2015
11:53 AM EDT
Making life difficult for yourself just for the challenge does seem a little pointless. If point and click makes something easier then I am all for it.

notbob

Feb 03, 2015
3:01 PM EDT
> If point and click makes something easier then I am all for it.

What if it doesn't?

I know I sure hate to reach for my mouse. I use my keyboard as my primary input device. Having to remove a hand to reach for and use my mouse does NOT make it easier, nor more time saving. GUIs are for ppl who like others to make their decisions for them.
the_doctor

Feb 03, 2015
10:44 PM EDT
Catering to the lowest common denominator is often times referred to as mass marketing.

Good, bad or indifferent -- it's how the world works.
jdixon

Feb 03, 2015
10:56 PM EDT
> Good, bad or indifferent -- it's how the world works.

There are two opposing philosophies on how to make money. One says make the maximum possible profit on each item. The other says to sell each item as cheaply as possible but sell lots of them.

In general, the second seems to outperform the first, but the first can work fine for limited size businesses.
the_doctor

Feb 04, 2015
12:10 AM EDT
True, jdixon.

But don't forget Ferengi Rule of Acquisition number 217: "You can't free a fish from water." ;)
gary_newell

Feb 04, 2015
4:46 AM EDT
> GUIs are for ppl who like others to make their decisions for them.

And for people who struggle to remember their names

Take for instance a simple task such as ripping audio from a CD. I can either try and remember the commands and switches I need to use for the ripping and conversion process or I can run a GUI app, select the songs and click GO.

In this instance reaching for the mouse is much easier.

Of course I could write a single script in the first place that I could use again and again so that I don't have to remember the switches but for what purpose?. In this case the GUI works perfectly fine.

Steven_Rosenber

Feb 04, 2015
11:21 PM EDT
The beauty of free Unix-like operating systems is that we can use the CLI with a plethora of shells and any number of GUI desktop environments and window managers. It's the best of many worlds for a wide range of users.

A beautiful thing, if you ask me.
gus3

Feb 05, 2015
7:19 PM EDT
And one X server to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them....
flufferbeer

Feb 07, 2015
3:34 PM EDT
@gus

> And one X server to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them....

...and similarly, CanUbucomical head Mark Sauronworth's ultimate aim could be to bring all devices to him and bind them through the Loonity interface.

2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!