What's Linux got to do with it?

Story: Why do so many Linux users hate Oracle?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Aug 21, 2014
12:48 AM EDT
Far as I can tell, anybody with (a) a brain, and (b) actual familiarity with Oracle, shares the feeling. Linux advocate or Windows fanboy, it doesn't seem to matter -- it might be the only thing they can agree on.

Far as I've been able to figure out, Larry Ellison's sole redeeming virtue is that he's a pretty good competitive sailor.
tuxchick

Aug 21, 2014
1:05 AM EDT
Bernard, the type of sailing that Ellison does involves spending massive amounts of money, suing people, bending rulesm and screaming at crew. Not sure that he actually knows how to sail.
me1010

Aug 21, 2014
10:27 AM EDT
I'm no Oracle lover... however...

Oracle is a for-profit software company. To expect Oracle to do anything but serve its own interests and its own pocketbook is foolish. There's something to be said for supplying a certain amount of code, material, and/or worker power to the open source community in order to further a profitable political relationship... but a for-profit company need not be intelligent nor nor virtuous, nor generous in order to exist. A for-profit company is, by definition, selfish - and must remain so or cease to exist.

Having said that, I use postgresql and sqlite for most of my database needs - and avoid Oracle products - even the 'free' ones as much as possible.
tuxchick

Aug 21, 2014
11:58 AM EDT
For-profit companies don't need to be rapacious, evil, and exploitive. And many aren't. Oracle is disliked purely on the merits.
notbob

Aug 21, 2014
12:09 PM EDT
I got to watch Oracle in action, close up and personal. Pretty much the reason I despise 'em.

Our SV company partnered with a Japanese company to penetrate the Japanese mkt. At least our one large division did, anyway. It was a chance for experimentation. Although our main company was already a major HP-UX user, our lone specialized division adopted Windows and Macs and hired Oracle to customize our nix database. Six months and several million dollars later, we had a customized Oracle Windows based database. As I recall, it took approx 30% more time and input device moves to do the same chore as did the old HP-UX curses database. Most everyone who hadda use it, hated it. Eventually the Macs were sold off cuz they didn't have the ability to interface with the M$ based software that some upper mgt twit purchased from his old college roomie. Software so bad, several employees quit over it. Such is corporate life. God, I'm glad to be retired! ;)
Bob_Robertson

Aug 21, 2014
12:25 PM EDT
Ah, the joys of bureaucracy.
DrGeoffrey

Aug 21, 2014
6:10 PM EDT
Quoting:For-profit companies don't need to be rapacious, evil, and exploitive.

Tell that to MS, and Google, and Apple, and . . .
gus3

Aug 21, 2014
6:45 PM EDT
Why do so many hate Oracle?

What would Jonathan Schwartz say about that?
seatex

Aug 21, 2014
7:12 PM EDT
More specifically, Larry Ellison is the devil incarnate. The evil just flows from the top down.

Just my 2 pennies.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!