Now we're talkin'

Story: Is the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro tablet just too darned big?Total Replies: 4
Author Content
rnturn

Mar 26, 2014
7:41 PM EDT
I've been waiting for a tablet that would display a normal US Letter sized document without shrinking it down to a tiny size or forcing the user to move a tiny viewport around the document. This means 13.8in diagonally and 12in might just be close enough. I can deal with the additional weight.
Ridcully

Mar 27, 2014
4:28 AM EDT
At the expense of being seen as a cynical old fossil, let me ask you one simple question:

Why not use a small laptop or netbook instead of a pad ? Huh ? Okay, I don't use a pad and have no time for them or wish to involve myself with them....but honestly, those comments suggest that you don't need a pad, you need a proper laptop or notebook.....Okay.....shoot me down, don't care. :-)
gus3

Mar 27, 2014
2:48 PM EDT
My netbook's screen is too small for 100% sized US letter pages.

Just sayin'.
penguinist

Mar 27, 2014
3:36 PM EDT
Yes gus3, but my ultrabook runs a 1920x1080 display and yet weighs in at only 2.9 pounds (1.3 kg) and has enough battery for five hours of heavy use. It's totally adequate for viewing full sized documents and it is light enough so that it's no trouble to have it with me at all times.

Since getting this ultrabook, I find myself leaving my tablet home. It's mostly redundant.
Ridcully

Mar 27, 2014
6:22 PM EDT
Again at the risk of being seen as "antique", aspects of the usage of pads and smartphones by our young people continue to worry me considerably. First, many of them text to each other all day, rather than develop social interaction skills by actually talking. Second, the "lexicon" of texting is developing an artificial written language that does not work when you are composing a business letter, writing an essay, authoring a book or a paper and so on - and the worrying thing is that it has now become an almost automatic way for the children/young adults to communicate in writing. Go into any shopping mall and watch kids/teenagers (even adults) smart phone texting while they are walking.....How DO they avoid collisions ?

Teachers (and I'm an ex-high-school maths/science teacher) are beginning to indicate that they are very worried that children are losing vital English literature skills in old fashioned "readin' and writin'".....I've even seen comments about two kids texting each other across a cafeteria area rather than get up and have a face to face discussion. I'd be worried if I was still in the teaching game...and I worry even so, simply because one remains dedicated to student development.....I do seriously think that overuse of smartphones is destructive, rather than constructive.

2c :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!