Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2014
4:50 PM EDT
The end.
Ridcully

Jan 05, 2014
5:37 PM EDT
Tuxchick, I couldn't help wincing several times as I read this article. What staggers me is that people are actually paying Microsoft in order to get their hands on this utter ..............(garbage, mess, fiasco - please insert anything suitable or use your own descriptor). I haven't been near Windows seriously since WinXP. It amazes me that Microsoft continues to be allowed to sell such a defective product. It also underlines why Steam/Valve are moving from Windows to Linux as fast as they can.
gus3

Jan 05, 2014
7:12 PM EDT
Quoting:please insert anything suitable
"Suitable" in this case wouldn't be allowed on LXer.
jdixon

Jan 05, 2014
7:30 PM EDT
What? Point of Sale (pos) isn't allowed on LXer?
JaseP

Jan 05, 2014
8:10 PM EDT
POS,... Yeah,... That's funny!!! Almost as funny as the fact that my recommendation to people to short MS stock is finally proving true,... about 8-10 years AFTER the fact...
gus3

Jan 05, 2014
8:28 PM EDT
jdixon, yeah, I once worked on a POS POS system. It was DOS-based, and used a database engine that worked in the 80286's Protected Mode. That mode was managed through Phar Lap's Protected Mode Switch system, "pmswitch".

(insert further [in]appropriate comments here)
Ridcully

Jan 05, 2014
9:07 PM EDT
I get the impression that all of you are having a ball with double meanings that I simply don't know. Miscreants ! LOL.

BernardSwiss

Jan 05, 2014
10:44 PM EDT
Am I the only one who thinks this thread is being unnecessarily hard on the guy?

His work actually requires him to use Visual Studio, so he actually still has to use Windows -- his habitual approach was to run it VS on Windows in a virtual machine on Linux. I don't think a "Windows nerd" would ever have bothered to do this. He thought it might be easier to skip the extra layer.

Then there were some networking hardware issues -- lack of Linux drivers for recent hardware (yeah, he should have known better) and some buggy Linux drivers as well (not his fault). And apparently XBoxOne interoperability issues.

So he tried running on "bare" Windows for a while, and that seemed to work OK for a while, but in the end was even worse (quelle surprise, non?). Microsoft support was of course useless -- blamed the victim, for not having the latest (post Win 8.0) hardware.

So he went back to Linux, had to fiddle a bit to find and configure what worked best for him. And he wrote it up, with no ranting about Linux deficiencies, nor about how wonderful Windows would have been.

So I don't get the rancour.
tuxchick

Jan 05, 2014
11:33 PM EDT
Oh Bernard, if you're going to be all reasonable and read the article and spoil the rant party, well fine, be that way.
BernardSwiss

Jan 06, 2014
1:53 AM EDT
Hey, I enjoy a fine rant -- in fact, I'm rather prone to indulging in the habit, myself.
jdixon

Jan 06, 2014
7:48 AM EDT
> Am I the only one who thinks this thread is being unnecessarily hard on the guy?

No, but why spoil a thread complaining about Windows?
CFWhitman

Jan 06, 2014
2:42 PM EDT
I was surprised when I read the article and found out it was actually "Linux nerd can't leave Linux". ;-)
tuxchick

Jan 06, 2014
3:02 PM EDT
Quoting: I was surprised when I read the article and found out it was actually "Linux nerd can't leave Linux". ;-)

It is, I fear I let my windows loathing cloud my reading comprehension.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!