Work smarter, not harder.

Story: Ubuntu GNOME Might Fail To Do A 14.04 LTS ReleaseTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Jeff91

Dec 26, 2013
10:18 AM EDT
I work with just a small team on Bodhi and there is no doubt in my mind that the reason we've lasted over three years at this point is because we picked the right things to focus on - just the LTS releases.

I could easily see people getting burned out trying to keep up with a rapid 6 month release cycle with only a small team.

~Jeff
CFWhitman

Dec 27, 2013
10:17 AM EDT
The odd part is the thought of skipping the 14.04 release. That would seem to be the one you'd want to hit, even if you released it closer to the time of the 14.10 release. I would think that if you're going to skip one, skip the regular release and put out your version of the LTS release late. Otherwise there will certainly be a gap after the nine months of support for the 13.10 release ends with no upgrade path for Ubuntu GNOME users. Then the upgrade path they do finally get will be to another nine month supported version, leaving Ubuntu GNOME developers under pressure to get the next version out on time again.
theboomboomcars

Dec 27, 2013
5:35 PM EDT
I was reading on another forum and one of the contributors of the ubuntu gnome spin commented, that this isn't whether or not they will release 14.04, but whether they will have it as a long term release.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 27, 2013
8:01 PM EDT
It seems that if they do an LTS, they'll have to continue maintaining it while they subsequently put out and then currently maintain the six-month releases.

I think it's worthwhile, though I'm personally cooling on GNOME 3 these days.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!