Seems like RHEL was the impetus for Gnome Classic

Story: Red Hat discloses RHEL roadmapTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
slacker_mike

Jun 13, 2013
9:10 AM EDT
What I found most interesting about this article was the implication that Gnome "Classic Mode" seems to have been pushed from RHELs side more than the "we've listened to our users feedback" explanation that has been presented in other articles I have read.

Quoting:Denise Dumas: We introduced a classic mode [to Fedora 19] which, if you're comfortable with Gnome 2, you're going to find classic mode a no-brainer.

We think that people who are accustomed to Gnome 2 will use classic mode until they're ready to experiment with modern mode. Classic mode is going to be the default for RHEL 7, and we're in the final stages now. We're tweaking it and having people experiment with it. The last thing we want to do is disrupt our customers' workflows.

I think it's been hard for the Gnome guys, because they really, really love modern mode, because that's where their hearts are. But they've done a great job putting together classic mode for us, and I think it's going to keep people working on RHEL 5, 6 and 7 who don't want to retrain their fingers each time they switch operating systems -- I think classic mode's going to be really helpful for them.
notbob

Jun 13, 2013
9:16 AM EDT
Not surprising, as RH debuted Gnome beta on RH 5.0. Hasn't it been their baby all along?
slacker_mike

Jun 13, 2013
10:41 AM EDT
What I found surprising is that RHEL pushed for the Classic Session, which means they didn't like their baby in it's natural or default form. So yeah Gnome has always been RH's baby which is why it is interesting that they didn't default to Gnome Shell seeing as the primary development of GS has been by RH developers.
jdixon

Jun 13, 2013
11:29 AM EDT
> What I found surprising is that RHEL pushed for the Classic Session,,,

They know what their customers will want, and they don't want upset customers.

That's one of the problems with open source, the monetary feedback mechanism between the developers and users doesn't exist. So projects people are perfectly happy with (KDE3, Gnome2) can be readily abandoned by the developers.
notbob

Jun 13, 2013
12:38 PM EDT
The problem with developers is they jes gotta develope, whether it's desired ot not. No such thing as reaching maturity and resting on laurels. Let's see, what else can we add? Got plenty of room for bloat! ;)
JaseP

Jun 20, 2013
3:36 PM EDT
RHEL pushing for classic mode is a no-brainer... all their implementation and support stuff, including exam prep/training stuff, is all based on the classic Gnome desktop.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!