No corporate distro is ever a community distro

Story: Since When Was Ubuntu A Community Distro?Total Replies: 10
Author Content
caitlyn

Jun 03, 2013
5:59 PM EDT
No corporate distro is ever a community distro because the bottom line is always the first proirity, not input from the community. I thought that was clear to everyone, not just about Ubuntu, but also about Fedora and openSUSE. They take community input and do try and serve a community to some extent, but that is never job #1.

Oh well, so much for Advocado and some fresh guacamole. I did enjoy the way Ms. Hall handled the source of her frustration.
brideoflinux

Jun 03, 2013
7:36 PM EDT
Thank you Caitlyn. I enjoyed writing it. We've been having quite a discussion with a couple of Red Hat employees who are convinced that Fedora is a true community distro. I think they think I'm spreading FUD about them and I'm truly not. I have nothing but respect for Red Hat and the way they conduct business. I have no problem with Fedora either. It's not a distro I've ever considered using, but that doesn't mean anything. --Christine
mbaehrlxer

Jun 04, 2013
12:37 AM EDT
it is more clear about ubuntu given who decisions are made there, but it is certainly not so clear about fedora. from my brief look, i see no evidence that decisions in fedora are made or controlled by redhats commercial interests. this is not saying that it may not be so, but i'd like to see some evidence to that claim. (likewise for opensuse which i simply have no clue about)

greetings, eMBee.
brideoflinux

Jun 04, 2013
1:45 AM EDT
@mbaehrixer If you look in the comments, you'll see that we were joined by a couple of gentlemen, one from Red Hat and the other specifically with Fedora. They gave us a lot of useful information about how Red Hat/Fedora handles the community end of things.

Adam Williamson, who works for Red Hat as their Fedora Quality Assurance Engineer, gave us quite a good inside look at the operations of Fedora in this regard, and I felt that he was being forthright and honest with us. I came away from this discussion feeling very good about Red Hat's approach to Fedora. I still don't consider it a community distro in the same since that a distro like Debian is a community distro, but I also don't believe it's being used by Red Hat for purely commercial purposes either.

--Christine Hall FOSS Force
linux4567

Jun 04, 2013
2:30 AM EDT
Why was Mageia not mentioned as one of the major pure community distros?

Mageia is arguably more popular tha Slackware and Gentoo already, it's probably the second most popular pure community distro after Debian.

Oh and Fedora certainly is Redhat's testbed, no matter how much Fedora fans try to deny that.
brideoflinux

Jun 04, 2013
3:14 AM EDT
@linux4567 Mageia is a distro that's close to my heart, even though I've yet to see it in action. The first GNU/Linux I ever installed was Mandrake 9.0, and used 9.3 until 2007 when I finally upgraded to Mandriva 2007 Free edition. I only quit using Mandriva about 2010 when it became obvious that Mandriva wasn't going to survive. I was very relieved whe Mageia came along to give Mandrake a serious new life. I'm hoping to have time to download and run a live version of Mageia later this week. I've heard nothing but good...
CFWhitman

Jun 04, 2013
8:51 AM EDT
I've thought about putting Mageia on something to see what I think of it. The first distribution I ran at home was Linux Mandrake 6.0 (although it was somewhat happenstance since I was on dial-up and the only distributions I could find in stores were Mandrake, SUSE, and Red Hat, and Mandrake was the cheapest). The first distribution I installed was Slackware 4 (just before the notorious skip from 4 to 7). I ended up going mostly to Slackware and Debian a short time later, but I liked Mandrake and recommended it as a first distribution.

It's been a while since I ran an rpm based distribution, and I keep meaning to check one out again. Mageia, OpenSuse, and Fedora are all on the list of distributions to check out. The reason I haven't is because I've been mostly satisfied with using one of Debian, Slackware, Crunchbang, Ubuntu Studio, Xubuntu, or Salix (all Debian or Slackware based distros), depending on what I was doing. I'll have to make the effort to leave my comfort zone for a bit to check out these rpm distributions.
kikinovak

Jun 04, 2013
9:13 AM EDT
Mandriva was a distribution full of hope. I've been using it for a couple of years, and I remember constantly hoping a) that the distribution would survive and that b) the next version would finally get rid of that one showstopper bug.

:o)
notbob

Jun 04, 2013
10:51 AM EDT
> Mageia is arguably more popular tha Slackware and Gentoo already.....

I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to actually argue such a ludicrous statement, but it would be fun to learn on what grounds you base such an absurd idea.
caitlyn

Jun 04, 2013
1:41 PM EDT
Well... DistroWatch hit rankings place Mageia way ahead of Slackware and Gentoo combined. While I'm often critical of those rankings in this case, since we are dealing primarily with hobbyist distros, it's probably reasonably accurate.
djohnston

Jun 04, 2013
2:22 PM EDT
Been running Mageia3 since beta1 with constant updates. Only problem encountered was with a video driver. Mageia's a solid distro and the devs are very responsive to the community. They also have a friendly forum.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!