KDE Doing It Again

Story: KDE Homerun (Search & Launch Button/Containment)Total Replies: 9
Author Content
Fettoosh

Mar 13, 2013
2:24 PM EDT
The right way that is.

This is a Search And Launch (SAL) sensible way of combining features of various menu systems.

It is sensible because it creates a tailor-able interface that would be very suitable for Tablets, Notebooks, and Desktops for those who prefer it over other classical menu launchers.

It is sensible also because it runs on top of the legacy Desktop interface and keeps its menu system in tact instead of totally replacing it.

I just watched couple demo videos and seems to be very responsive and functional. here are some additional links:

Concept

Reality Demo v0.1.0

Latest Demo

I am planning on checking it out thoroughly because it might be a better approach than Unity, which totally replaces the classical desktop interface, and make it an add on option instead.

djohnston

Mar 13, 2013
4:10 PM EDT
Looks kinda confusing to me. Then again, I'm not a KDE4 user. Debian's fuss-launcher is much simpler. It automatically catalogs all apps based on the xapian program index.
tracyanne

Mar 13, 2013
5:48 PM EDT
It's just another small screen phone /tablet fingerpoken style launcher being used inappropriately on a large screen / mouse + keyboard device.

Just as stupid as the unity thing and the metro thing etc etc
Fettoosh

Mar 13, 2013
7:07 PM EDT
Quoting:Just as stupid as the unity thing and the metro thing etc etc

It is not stupid because it is optional add on and no one has to install it or use it if it doesn't make sense to them.

It is not stupid because it is pretty cool on tablets/Netbooks/Phones touch interface and full fledged Linux OS.

It is not stupid because it is pretty handy to use on huge screens when doing presentations in seminars, demonstrations, TV weather broadcasts, etc.

It is not stupid because some, if not many, would use a mouse instead of touch screen. Kids and seniors are not in a big rush and would love such a clear and easy interface. May be you have to wait a while to appreciate that. :-)

The point is, it doesn't take much to create an interface that could do what Unity was created for.

tracyanne

Mar 13, 2013
7:44 PM EDT
Quoting:May be you have to wait a while to appreciate that. :-)

Yeah in another 30 years time when I turn 90. Although by then I'll probably be blind anyway.

But yes it is no big deal building a unity style interface.
cmost

Mar 13, 2013
8:54 PM EDT
This menu was originally called Takeoff Launcher before it was accepted into the KDE fold as an official part of KDE. I think it's...okay. Not great, not exceptional, not necessary. My question is, how is this better than any other menu? Really!
Fettoosh

Mar 13, 2013
9:38 PM EDT
Quoting:My question is, how is this better than any other menu? Really!

I don't believe I said anything about being better than any other menu, I said it might be a better approach than Unity, and the reason is obviously because it doesn't replace the classical interface of a desk but simply an add on to it.

I personally use and will continue to use the good old classical Hierarchical menu on my desktop. But when I have a tablet, this homerun menu would be my preference.

In terms of being better than others menu, for some people, it might be more suitable on desktops and other form factor devices.

By the way, yes it is similar to Takeoff, but the demos show it has many more features and capabilities.

mbaehrlxer

Mar 15, 2013
8:26 PM EDT
i always disliked the menu, with hundreds of applications, it feels cramped, and i have a hard time finding what i need. but i have to agree, i don't find this that much better (judging from the videos i looked at) at least it's bigger, and it has favorites. so it might be better. but frankly, at this point, the part of the windows start menu which nowadays shows you the most frequently used applications is better than the gnome menu. (can't talk about kde as i am not using it)

greetings, eMBee.
tracyanne

Mar 15, 2013
8:45 PM EDT
KDE, at least since KDE3 has had Most recenty used applicantIons. They appear at the top of the classic menu.
Fettoosh

Mar 16, 2013
1:33 AM EDT
Quoting:They appear at the top of the classic menu.

In KDE classical Hierarchical menu, users can change the maximum number of apps you want to see in the list.

There are about 20 different items user can include to the list along with group titles. Menu items can have five different formats of name/description concatenation.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!