Donchya jes love it!

Story: Monty has last laugh as distros abandon MySQL Total Replies: 8
Author Content
notbob

Feb 04, 2013
11:18 AM EDT
I know I do, as I thoroughly despise Oracle.

Not for no good reason. Way back in the heyday, I worked in Silicon Valley for a mega player. Our company's primary database was HP-UX, but we decided to try M$ and Oracle in one of our partnered sub-divisions ...unfortunately, mine. We set up 2 huge trailers and put 40 Oracle ppl to work for 6 mos customizing the Oracle DB to our needs. Finally it was rolled out. Whatta trainwreck! It increased worker load by at least 30%. What was once easily accomplished on dedicated HP dumb terminals w/ smart keyboards, now became an endless chain of windows and mouse clicks. It was NOT easier. NOT faster. NOT simpler. As I recall no one at all liked it and everone would find ways to sneak back into the unix DB to ease their workload. The mgt hadda force ppl to use the crappy Oracle DB, which cost the company millions.

This further re-inforced my disdain for all things GUI, as I learned quite early it's a fool's paradise. It may look purty, but at a cost, the cost being extra work. GUIs are fine, in their place, but too often text is quicker, simpler, easier.

Beside, Ellison is a dirtbag, jes like Ballmer. He cares not for the good of the user, but for the good of his wallet. Them yachts ain't cheap and Larry loves the good life. So it rankles when I see him trying to monetize good FOSS like mysql and java and OO. I do heartily chuckle when the FOSSers torpedo his greedy little schemes.

BTW, It's OK if I assassinate Larry's character. It's a Sammy V article! ;)
jdixon

Feb 04, 2013
11:23 AM EDT
Chick-A-Boom. :)

But yes, I do. And I agree about Ellison's character.
caitlyn

Feb 04, 2013
11:35 AM EDT
While it's true that Oracle is reaping what they have sewn, I really don't hate them. Even though I'm a Linux admin/architect I've made lots of money deploying and supporting large Oracle databases together with DBAs. The open source database products are generally excellent but don't seem to scale up to really large terribly well. Oracle, the commercial database, still has it's place as the best choice for some applications from a purely technical perspective. In addition, many specialized commercial applications for which there is no FOSS equivalent use Oracle on the back end.

In the MySQL vs MariaDS debate my only concern is compatibility. If dropping in MariaDB breaks web based applications in any way shape or form there is going to be major pushback against this change. The only way to know for sure is to test it and I expect that will happen to a great degree only when RHEL/Centos/Scientific Linux and SLES ship with MariaDB.

Quoting:BTW, It's OK if I assassinate Larry's character. It's a Sammy V article! ;)
Yes, but he showed restraint and acted as a responsible journalist does. It's an excellent article. I don't see what's gained by character assassination. In terms of making an argument convincing I really don't believe it ever helps.
kikinovak

Feb 04, 2013
3:05 PM EDT
Sometimes I wonder (and this is a real question, not a rhetorical one) what Oracle databases have that MySQL does not. A couple of years ago, I did some Oracle Linux training for the french motorway company, but I only handled the Linux side of things, and a fellow trainer did the database training. I wonder, because as far as I know, giants like Facebook, Yahoo! Finance or Amazon use MySQL and seem to fare well with it. I'm not a database guru, so maybe someone can enlighten me on the subject.
jdixon

Feb 04, 2013
4:54 PM EDT
> ...what Oracle databases have that MySQL does not.

Nowhere near as much as it used to. Seriously though, the answer is proven usability at the level required by the businesses involved. Businesses have been using Oracle databases for a long time now, and they've demonstrated their usability and durability over that time. Of the open source databases, only Postgres has that degree of demonstrated reliability.

I know there are actual technical differences, but my understanding is that MySQL now supports 90+% of all the things Oracle does. Of course, with Oracle in charge, I don't expect that percentage to be increasing any time soon.
tuxchick

Feb 04, 2013
5:10 PM EDT
PostgreSQL!
caitlyn

Feb 04, 2013
5:29 PM EDT
Quoting:PostgreSQL!
The reason that has never caught on and likely never will is that the developers don't maintain backwards compatibility. This can create major problems for applications developed with PostgreSQL as a back end. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.
BernardSwiss

Feb 04, 2013
9:07 PM EDT
Quoting:Yes, but he showed restraint and acted as a responsible journalist does. It's an excellent article. I don't see what's gained by character assassination. In terms of making an argument convincing I really don't believe it ever helps.
Yes -- good journalism is, as good journalism does.

Let's not foster flame wars just for no good reason --that's what drove me away from ITWire in the first place.

Quoting:The reason that has never caught on and likely never will is that the developers don't maintain backwards compatibility. This can create major problems for applications developed with PostgreSQL as a back end. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.
I was wondering about that, myself.
montezuma

Feb 04, 2013
9:50 PM EDT
Monty Zuma's revenge? Nyuck Nyuck

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!