No duh

Story: GNOME 3.8 Is Dropping Its Fallback ModeTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
cmost

Nov 10, 2012
11:30 AM EDT
Gnome isn't interested in what users want; they're interested in what THEY want. Forget about whether or not what they want is productive or wanted by users. This is simply another testament to why Gnome is on its way OUT! Long live KDE, XFCE, XFCE, and others!!
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 10, 2012
3:46 PM EDT
You have choices, to be sure. I'm still splitting time between GNOME Shell and Xfce.
HoTMetaL

Nov 11, 2012
3:14 AM EDT
Switched to Xfce a few months ago and love it. More customization. Faster. Great looking. Now just hoping Xfce's switch to GTK3+ later on won't screw it all up.
helios

Nov 11, 2012
12:30 PM EDT
Ikey Doherty is working on making the gnome 3 environment behave and look exactly like gnome 2 and with full backwards compatibility with GTK2. That makes it a full step ahead of the Mint development...kind of taking advantage of both worlds. I'm pretty excited to see the results, although it will probably be at the end of Q1 before we see it. While I use the gnome2 desktop of SolusOS at home, I've switched to KDE on my machines at work, solely based on Dolphin's superior handling of move and copy. I do an inordinate amount of file swaps both locally and via network so KDE works best for me.

Gnome as a project has ingested the poison and will slowly die. I'm sorry to see that but at the same time, I can't sympathize with a group of developers who knowingly and willfully abandon their users
caitlyn

Nov 11, 2012
3:10 PM EDT
I've been an Xfce fan for a long time. Some may remember my reviews of Xubuntu Dapper and Edgy. Back then I really liked that distro (how times change) and the Xfce desktop. I still like Xfce. That distro... not so much anymore.

I tried GNOME 3 for a while on openSUSE 12.2. I tried to tweak it, to use it and hope I'd get used to it, to give it a fair chance. I still like openSUSE 12.2 with either Xfce or KDE. GNOME? Not so much. I can use it but it really does hinder my productivity.
gus3

Nov 11, 2012
4:39 PM EDT
Sometime this evening (after I go home, and no longer have 'net access until tomorrow) I'll be trying KDE 3.8 on the Raspberry Pi. I am VERY tempted to take a video of it to see how long it takes from login to desktop.
gus3

Nov 12, 2012
12:36 PM EDT
From DM login completion to the appearance of the KDE logo in the taskbar took 4m45s. Of course, the KDE startup is still launching tasks in the background, so the desktop isn't very responsive for another few minutes, but there's very little visually to time that stuff.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!