I just krunner

Story: Searching for Search in KDETotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tracyanne

Jul 25, 2012
8:33 PM EDT
ALT + F2 or Right mouse click -> run Command. It does a very nice job of desktop search as well, found my music folder first up.
helios

Jul 25, 2012
11:36 PM EDT
It's odd how different the distros are. Neither for love nor money could I get any setting in NetRunner to get my search working, in any client, in any field. I installed the Mint KDE version and with just a bit of tinkering, (as advised by the many comments to this blog) search worked much, much better. I will still argue that KDE needs a dedicated search tool like Gnome does, but things are working enough to get me by. However, in Kfind, it still didn't want to give me many, if any results. That tool sucks regardless of distro I think.
nikkels

Jul 26, 2012
12:05 AM EDT
Helios Have a look at Recoll.( indexer ) Maybe a little too much, but it gives me what I want.
helios

Jul 26, 2012
12:49 AM EDT
That's what i was using with Netrunner.....It is about the best third party search app I've found. searchmonkey is good too if set up properly.
nikkels

Jul 26, 2012
2:10 AM EDT
Helios, My apologies. I must have been dreaming , as I understood << Neither for love nor money could I get any setting in NetRunner to get my search working >> as NetRunner being the 'Application' you were trying to use. Doing a google for NetRunner revealed to me it to be a Distro. Oh dear, I better start paying attention to the latest and greatest . :-)
tracyanne

Jul 26, 2012
2:23 AM EDT
Interesting I just tried kfind on my Linux mint system typed in Music as a search term and found a dozen folders in various places on my system
nikkels

Jul 26, 2012
2:47 AM EDT
I found 21 locations which gave me access to each of my 153.935 songs I have ( joke )
helios

Jul 26, 2012
8:34 AM EDT
I installed the Mint KDE version and with just a bit of tinkering, (as advised by the many comments to this blog) search worked much, much better.

That which I had already discovered. Netrunner was a bit too customized, almost dumbed down for my tastes. Nice distro, just not what I am particularly looking for.
Fettoosh

Jul 26, 2012
11:12 AM EDT
@Ken,

I run Kubuntu with KDE 4.8.4 and I have hardly any show stopper issues with KDE and for a long time. I don't use KFind but I installed it to see what is going on. I had no problem finding things at all. I have been using search within Dolphin and it too works great. It is simple, easy to configure and handy to control (Stop/start).

My understanding is that, NetRunner is Kubuntu based, Is there a particular reason why you use it instead of Kubuntu?

Quoting:According to DistroWatch

Netrunner is an Kubuntu-based distribution with a focus on desktop computing. It boasts a carefully tuned KDE 4 desktop with many integrated GNOME applications to offer users a selected mix of popular and powerful programs.

Since you are in a testing mode/mood :-), I strongly encourage you to give Kubuntu a try.

helios

Jul 26, 2012
12:29 PM EDT
Since you are in a testing mode/mood

Hence I used Netrunner for a while to see if I liked it.

I strongly encourage you to give Kubuntu a try.

I did. Once I refused to use Kwallet to store the wireless/password, it refused to connect. Mint KDE has no such issues.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!