Designed for Failure

Story: A first look at Dell's 'Sputnik' Ubuntu Linux developer laptopTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
Fettoosh

Jul 20, 2012
1:14 PM EDT
Let's see.

- Ubuntu Linux developer laptop!?

Do developers need Dell to get Linux-Ubuntu installed for them? I think not, they know better and they prefer to install what they like and how they like.

- Exploratory pilot to create an Ubuntu Linux-based developer laptop

Exploratory!? Hasn't Dell explored such ideas enough before? I believe this is 3rd or 4th time.

-but said it would be in the ballpark of the current top-of-the-line Dell XPS 13, about $1,500.

Give me a break, $1,500 for a laptop that developers and even novice users can purchase a similar or better system for much less?

I don't considered that a community acceptable Linux support and, in my opinion, this "venture" is designed for failure, just like the previous ones.

JaseP

Jul 20, 2012
1:21 PM EDT
Developer laptop = hardware is Linux compatible.

Exploratory pilot = MS is releasing a new OS soon,... need to explore discounts...

Top-of-the-line XPS 13 = We want to be able to claim that nobody wanted them when we pull them from the market.
lcafiero

Jul 23, 2012
10:21 PM EDT
Fettoosh is right: Dell has always claimed to be on Linux's side when nothing could be further from the truth. I'm wondering if there will be the same online ordering problem with this Linux model that there was with the last Ubuntu-based models Dell offered: Two-week waiting period to get the Ubuntu laptop, while the same model with Windows ships the same day.
caitlyn

Jul 24, 2012
7:02 AM EDT
I couldn't disagree more with all of you. Dell comes back again and again offering something with Linux for consumers. No other major OEM/manufacturer does. Not a one.
Fettoosh

Jul 24, 2012
8:59 AM EDT
Quoting:Dell comes back again and again ...

@caitlyn,

The point is not who is doing that but rather why Dell keeps doing that. The problem is, they keep offering what consumers don't want, without offering a decent support, without an easy way to find Linux based PCs on their web site, and without any ads or promotions like they do with Windows. Dell must have learned something by now. Linux community told it what they want already. why don't they listen?

JaseP

Jul 24, 2012
9:00 AM EDT
@Caitlyn,...

I agree with you on that mark... Dell is the ONLY major computer vendor who has consistently offered consumer Linux powered machines. But Dell is a fair weather friend to Linux, nonetheless.

You might get a Dell machine running Linux,... and it might even cost the same as the Windoze version. But try buying a Dell machine and returning the OS, because you clicked "No," on the EULA. Or try to get one equipped equivalent to the MS version of the same machine, or without "Dell recommends Windows Blah, Blah," or without them offering MS Office (and not as a package with Crossover Office).
gus3

Jul 24, 2012
11:30 AM EDT
If a local retailer were doing with Linux what Dell does with Linux, we'd call them "fly-by-night".
BernardSwiss

Jul 24, 2012
8:34 PM EDT
The question appears to be, how sincere are Dells efforts?

Is Dell (1) half-heartedly offering minimal and substandard offerings, for PR and to make a countering point to Microsoft's monopolistic pressures? Or is Dell (2) struggling to offer Linux at all, and having to find ways they can make it tenable against Microsoft's monopolistic pressures? Or perhaps (3) some of each (and on the consumer front, more the first than the second)?

On the basis of the available evidence, a rational inquirer can legitimately decide in favour of any of the above options. And it's probably not a conclusive list. This argument can keep on for years yet. Until someone in the know publishes a memoir, and lays it all out. (Someone credible, that is: Ballmer for example likely wouldn't count -- unless he was surprisingly candid and forthright.)
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 25, 2012
6:05 PM EDT
I'm willing to give Dell the benefit of the doubt on this. Instead of a netbook, this is a "full" laptop. Maybe it'll sell enough to get them to offer more.
tracyanne

Jul 25, 2012
6:21 PM EDT
At the moment, as far as i can tell, this move by Dell appears to be genuine.

Of course you have to understand they are NOT marketing these laptops at basic consumers, but at Software developers. That is why they are the top of the line XPS. As a consequence they are not betting the farm on selling millions of them, but rather hundreds of thousands. I think so long as they keep the price in the same range as the Windows version, they may do quite well.

And.. it must be remembered that these are laptops running a basic Ubuntu install, the techie stuff is an after purchase add on that you the developer person choose according to your needs. So... if you are a power user looking for a good quality high power Linux Laptop, you too can buy one.

BernardSwiss

Jul 25, 2012
7:23 PM EDT
@tracyanne

Yes, that;s a reasonable conclusion. Dell can easily tell Microsoft that these are of no concern and targeted at a niche that doesn't want Windows (ie. have already "left or never were Windows market), and is willing to pay a good price for what they do want.

Which roundabout raises another question -- will purchasers of the Windows model have equal access to these "development profiles" if they install Linux over or dual-boot? Are these downloadable "profiles" only for those who buy the right model?
nikkels

Jul 29, 2012
10:39 PM EDT
I am not going to be part of this discussion, but I like to give you some info, fwiw. Usually I went to Pantip Plaza and/or Zeerstreet Rangsit every month, sometimes twice a month. Due to some illness I hadn't been there for several months . So, yesterday someone took me there (Zeer ) by car and I got the shock of my life ( actually easy to get these days). The presence of Dell was 10 folded compared to 3-4 months ago. (before) you had trouble to find a Dell. Now it looked as if Dell had bought the building ( over 400 shops ). The same thing for Pantip . The presentation of OSes was more or less 1/3 each. Comps with Windows, Comps with Ubuntu, Comps with 'no OS' or 'DOS'.

Lenovo, by my estimate has doubled their presence, with same OS presence. However, Acer is the dominating distributoe for now, with also offering 50% of their hardware as either linux , no OS or DOS. Most shops offer you to install Linux for free, as long as it is Ubuntu 11.04 :-)

OK, that was my morning talk, for those who are interested.
helios

Jul 30, 2012
10:43 AM EDT
I too will be watching this evolve, if only to see if they still post in huge, glaring Font.

Dell Recommends Windows 7 (or 8)....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!