Get a clue!

Story: Netflix and Linux, What are Your Options?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
notbob

Jun 11, 2012
9:18 AM EDT
Microsoft has a monopoly on a few things, like Netflix and Autocad. Apple has a monopoly on a few things, though I can't think of any cuz I don't really care. Get over it and move on. Get on old XP box and watch Netflix. Lord knows Netflix is flakey enough WITH Windows and Silverlight. You should be able to find a working XP box almost everywhere for free. Nobody ever said if you use Linux you are somehow banned from ever using Microsoft. That's the beauty of choice. It's yours to make. So, knock off the sniveling and make one. ;)

nb
Jeff91

Jun 11, 2012
9:59 AM EDT
Or you could use a Wii, PS3, or *gasp* Xbox.

Or an even bigger shocker - use a different streaming service...

~Jeff
number6x

Jun 11, 2012
10:11 AM EDT
Get a Roku.

It does run a linux kernel, so you are kind of running Netflix on Linux.
penguinist

Jun 11, 2012
10:15 AM EDT
I'm using a Western Digital WDTV-Live-Plus for Netflix. This product also runs on a Linux kernel, albeit with a semi-locked boot loader. If you attempt to load your own kernel, the Netflix keys will be deleted.
notbob

Jun 11, 2012
10:23 AM EDT
Aren't choices amazing!? Anyone can make 'em.

If you ever get the chance to pick up a old Xbox fer real cheap, they make excellent DVD players. Something about MS's software that allows totally ruined DVDs, that would never play on most DVD players, to play perfectly on an Xbox. When my granddaughters were growing up, they would completely trash all their kid movie DVDs. Dog scratches, frisbee scars ....their entire DVD collection never saw the inside of their orig holders, yet that Xbox played everyone flawlessly. I was really quite shocking how well it worked, while my high end Sony DVD player rejected about 1 in 3 DVDs for the slightest imperfection. I don't play games at all, but would buy an old Xbox for DVDs in a heartbeat if the price were right.

nb
JaseP

Jun 11, 2012
11:47 AM EDT
The point is that people don't WANT to run windoze,... period.

Personally, I'd look into running Android in a virtual machine before I resorted to running M$ stuff on my systems. When my kids get to the age when computers are used in their homework assignments, I'll pitch an unholy fit if the school district requires it be done on M$ machines,... or Apple, for that matter.

Yes,... There ARE choices,... some of us choose not to run software from companies who have proven themselves to be run in an immoral fashion...
caitlyn

Jun 11, 2012
11:57 AM EDT
Quoting:some of us choose not to run software from companies who have proven themselves to be run in an immoral fashion...
The purpose of any business is to bring maximum profits and maximum returns to their shareholders. Is that immoral? If so, all business is immoral. Microsoft's actions definitely make sense in that context and, given that governments don't seem to want to enforce anti-trust laws and in the U.S. wants to perpetuate software patents, Microsoft's questionable actions are what a business, any business, should do to maximize profits.
JaseP

Jun 11, 2012
12:08 PM EDT
Maximizing profits,... not immoral in and of itself. Maximizing profits by stealing, extorting, lying, using illegal manipulation tactics, engaging in tactics that run afoul of antitrust law, etc.,... THAT's immoral... There are businesses that get along just fine without doing anything like the things I mentioned. M$ isn't one of them.
jdixon

Jun 11, 2012
12:18 PM EDT
> The purpose of any business is to bring maximum profits and maximum returns to their shareholders. Is that immoral?

Sigh. The morality of an action and it's profitability are almost completely separate issues.

Using your stated position: If I want to start a publicly traded company specializing in the assassination of public figures, is it moral if I can make a profit for my shareholders by doing so? As long as the government isn't willing to enforce the laws against murder, apparently so.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!