I can't disagree

Story: Linus Torvalds finds GNOME 3.4 to be a "total user experience design failure"Total Replies: 4
Author Content
caitlyn

Jun 05, 2012
3:33 PM EDT
I have generally stayed out of the GNOME and Unity hate-fests on various fora. Generally, I believe we have more than enough desktop choices and I can safely ignore those I really don't like. However, after reading Linus' commentary, I have to admit that top of my "don't like" list is GNOME 3.x. It consumes the most resources and delivers the least functionality. Even with the various extensions I don't find it to be intuitive or a decent choice for me.

I can use much less memory and fewer CPU cycles running XFCE and I get a whole lot more usable desktop. I can also use MATE and achieve the same result. LXDE is a bit spartan for my tastes but it certainly is lightweight and gets out of my way. KDE is my full featured choice and it still consumes fewer resources than GNOME3, particularly if I disable nepomuk and akonadi. It also is very, very configurable, unlike recent GNOME iterations.

If I rant the rotten tomatoes start flying. If Linus Torvalds rants people listen because of who he is and what he's accomplished. I'm glad he's ranting again.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 05, 2012
3:43 PM EDT
The beauty of a forum of ideas is the "churn". People try different things, see what works.

My first thought was, "Don't mince words, Linus, tell them what you really think."

Such fun.

I was pleased to see that Trinity made it onto the LinuxQuestions results. I guess I'm not the only one pining for KDE3.
skelband

Jun 05, 2012
3:45 PM EDT
No, can't disagree with you.

Gnome 3 is a tackled nest of rubbish. I just find that it gets in the way all the time. It is just so unbelievably annoying.

The absolutely #1 thing a DE should do is not get in the way. So as far as I'm concerned, it fails the primary test.
rexbinary

Jun 05, 2012
3:55 PM EDT
Linus ranted about KDE 4.x and switched to Gnome 2.x. Now he's ranting about Gnome 3.x. I suppose next he switches to XFCE 4.x and then rants about XFCE 5.x?

Personally I have no issues with Gnome 3.4. It took me all of a day or two to adust to not minmizing windows. It runs great on both my desktop and netbook, and is much more responsive on my netbook than KDE Plasma Netbook.

Of course, to each their own.

I hope Linus finds the DE he likes, and they never update it just for him. :)
Bob_Robertson

Jun 05, 2012
4:49 PM EDT
Rex,

Maybe Linus would like Trinity, too. :^)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!