Interesting

Story: Screw this, I'm going back to Windows! Total Replies: 10
Author Content
tracyanne

Mar 09, 2012
6:43 PM EDT
Very true in many aspects... But.

I have been a Windows programmer since 1997, when I started using VB5, then VB6. I then switched to VB.Net briefly then C#. Finally on January 31 2012 I was able to abandon Windows completely. There are no longer any copies of Windows on any of my computers. Part of the reason for that is that I don't need Windows for anything i do. A Linux based Operating System has been my primary desktop since 2001

I can program in C# on Linux, I can develop C# ASP.NET applications on Linux, and even host those Web Applications on Linux. In short I have all the tools I need to do all the things i want on Linux based Operating Systems (currently Linux Mint 12 KDE).

Another of my computers has been rebuilt as a recording studio, using Ardour, Audacity, Rodegarden, Tuxguitar, Hydrogen and LMMS, and a bunch of Linux compatible hardware.

Yes there are bugs in KDE, mostly I find them annoyances rather than show stoppers. A recent one in KDE 4.7.4, which is the version on LM12, ment the icon for cryptkeeper wouldn't show up in the system tray when Cryptkeeper was running, but is solved when i upgraded to 4.8.1 (I haven't noticed anything, yet). Although I suppose one couild call the insistence by KDE on creating references to non existent GNOME applications, in the File associations list, a bug.

In short I'm really happy with my new KDE desktop, and have never really noticed much on any of my Linux desktop to complain about, except Unity and GNOME 3 Shell, but they won't ever be my desktops, so i can't complain about them now either.

By and large If I compare Windows, any version up to 7 with any of my desktops on Linux, I'd have to say my Linux desktops win hands down, every time, in spite of some of the stupid things that go on in the Linux world.
microMXL

Mar 09, 2012
6:47 PM EDT
I'm still using xfce so all that unity/gnome rant doesn't concern me
on4aa

Mar 09, 2012
8:02 PM EDT
True, I am running Linux Mint Debian Edition with XFCE now. Apart from a whim with NVidia drivers, it runs very stable.

It is a rolling release distribution, an important feature to have with the constant updating of desktop applications like Firefox, Thunderbird, Flash, codecs etc.

The only thing I replaced is XFCE's filemanager Thunar. It lacks tabs and/or a second pane, because of developers stubborness. I got LXDE's pcmanfm as a replacement and doublecommander for the more serious work.

The size of the repositories is also important. In Debian testing, I find just about everything, albeit a bit slow in taking up new versions.

For the occasional Windows-only application I need to run, I install it in a Codeweavers Crossover bottle, which most of times works very well, much better than WINE. I am 100% Windows free now since 2009.

By the way, I wrote my MSc thesis back in 1996 on Word. Word would not open it correctly nowadays because of the math. Luckily, I got a PDF copy in time. Good advice to the students out there: Use LaTeX on Linux (with the TeXStudio editor and JabRef for example). You will never regret.
masgeeks

Mar 09, 2012
8:16 PM EDT
Its all about choice and ticks can cling to whatever host they see fit, lol. I use Ubuntu 11.10 with gnome shell - and I guess there's something wrong with me. The only thing I whined about in gnome shell is lack of icon to notify of new mail... but the gnome shell extension for persistent notifications basically took care of that. I am flexible. Don't care where I get notified as long as it sticks around long enough so I know I've been notified, lol... :-D But honestly, I don't understand why people have such a hard time with Linux and application that run on it. I am pretty much a power user, and even when I used Windows I was a power user... but Windows is just so DAMN painful... takes longer to do everything and I can't just tweak with ease like I can with Linux and its apps. Notice how at the whiner's site he doesn't allow posting of comments...??? Coward...!!! lol... Again, its all about choice - more power to the Windows lovers, go for it, enjoy. I prefer to keep my sanity intact, I'll stick with 'nix... :)
cr

Mar 09, 2012
8:36 PM EDT
I'm currently being rather pleased with Kubuntu/Trinity Maverick in a trial 512M DRAM setup (it's as stable as the Debian setup was crashy). But that's me; I'm after a particular desktop layout attuned to some deeply rutted but productive workflows. For all I know KDE4 might be perfect for music-making, something I'm not in a position to indulge in just now.

@on4aa: (where is ON? too lazy to check qrz.net) Careful with rolling-release distros -- they can go from tool-status to patient-status right when you really need to get some work done. Maybe a dual-boot environment is needed: rolling-release for the pleasure, and something tested and stable for insurance.
cmost

Mar 09, 2012
9:18 PM EDT
I disagree vehemently that KDE has so many bugs that it's unstable. Please! That might have been true around KDE 4.1 or 4.2 but today, KDE is very stable and powerful at version 4.8.1. KDE is the only remaining desktop that offers a familiar environment that Windows and Mac users can get to grips with quickly and easily. I will agree that Unity and Gnome 3.x are a mess right now.
tracyanne

Mar 09, 2012
9:57 PM EDT
@cr, the machine hosting the recording studio is running GNOME 2 Panel, but will soon be running XFCE, to reduce overhead, I may even go for LXDE.
jdixon

Mar 09, 2012
10:27 PM EDT
> That might have been true around KDE 4.1 or 4.2

More like 4.4 or 4.5. From the things I've read, it wasn't really until late in the 4.5 series that it became stable.
nikkels

Mar 10, 2012
1:59 AM EDT
KDE4 is stable So are the bugs in Konqueror for the last 1 1/2 year Want to know more, you got a choice of sending me a PM, but better is to read their bug report site
claudecat

Mar 10, 2012
3:07 AM EDT
I've always enjoyed reading Dedoimedo's stuff, even when I don't agree with him (like most of this post). His love for CentOS baffles me, as does his disdain for KDE. I can agree that Win 7 usually works pretty well (for all its inherent flaws), but I'd like to see him try a decent KDE distro (Mint 12, Fedora, Arch, Slackware-current... even Debian wheezy). SUSE is ok, but zypper is needlessly complex, making package management more work than it should be. Much like juggling repos in RHEL clones like CentOS...

I'll continue to frequent Igor's site, but it's an ever larger grain of salt with which I partake of his writing on linux lately.
4ebees

Mar 10, 2012
6:34 AM EDT
Yeah...yeah...well, part way through I got rather bored. Lack of detail, mostly rant, nothing specific and no evidence other than "I think".

It's fine when people 'think' something but that's about all it was. A long rant about 'what I think'.

As for bugs...jeez Louise. What OS doesn't have 'em. I've not come across a show stopper on my KDE desktop in, like, you know, hell, forever. What does that mean? It means that molehills are not mountains and rants are not evidence.

I edit a fair amount of video and audio. I do a lot of video re-encoding. I browse the web (don't we all). I have three kids each with machines, a wife with a laptop, I've got one and a desktop. Have we had something happen that got in the way of them doing homework such as creating things with Scribus or Libre Office, managing our e-reader with Calibre, running my wife's business from her laptop (with encrypted HDD and backup disk). No.

Rant away please. Just don't think that it means anything more than that or that's it's evidence of anything more than your present state of mind.

Lots of evidence helps an argument. Put some in if you want to convince people of anything.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!