This has nothing to do with GNU/Linux and Free/OS Software

Story: You know what I’m excited about? Windows 8.Total Replies: 15
Author Content
ComputerBob

Feb 21, 2012
3:30 PM EDT
I read TFA, and I don't see anything in it that's about GNU/Linux and Free/Open Source Software, other than the fact that Ken mentions that he uses Windows, Mac and Linux.
JaseP

Feb 21, 2012
3:47 PM EDT
The implication is the effect that Win8 will have on FOSS... Ken is just saying that he doesn't care, that it'll be fun to play with.
ComputerBob

Feb 21, 2012
3:56 PM EDT
Quoting:The implication is the effect that Win8 will have on FOSS...

That seems like a really low standard for including a Windows 8 article on this site -- but then we all know that Ken always meets low standards.
dinotrac

Feb 22, 2012
12:20 AM EDT
Don't know about you, but the last I looked, the name of this site was lxer, not lx, implying it's directed at those "ers', ie, people using, doing stuff with, and interested in Linux. As one of those people, I am interested in what's going on in the Windows world. Not enough to spend time there, but nice to stay caught up on the big stuff -- especially if it will help me take the things I do in FOSS land and make a little money.
ComputerBob

Feb 22, 2012
10:55 AM EDT
I use Linux and I recently rescued an abandoned dog in a nearby park -- maybe I should submit that story to this site.
jdixon

Feb 22, 2012
11:01 AM EDT
> I use Linux and I recently rescued an abandoned dog in a nearby park -- maybe I should submit that story to this site.

Only if you include pictures. Of course, you could always throw in something about an open source veterinarian application and you'd be golden.
ComputerBob

Feb 22, 2012
11:11 AM EDT
Here you go - pictures and video:

http://www.computerbob.com/wp/bud-finds-his-forever-home.php

No open source vet apps, but I used Linux to publish all of that. ;)
JaseP

Feb 22, 2012
12:52 PM EDT
There you go,... It's now Linux related...
jhansonxi

Feb 22, 2012
12:54 PM EDT
> Only if you include pictures. Of course, you could always throw in something about an open source veterinarian application and you'd be golden.

You could say the same for a recipe manager like Gourmet (http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net). :D
gus3

Feb 22, 2012
1:05 PM EDT
Stray dog recipes? On Linux?

I doubt TC will be doing that cookbook...
ComputerBob

Feb 22, 2012
1:27 PM EDT
"It's a cookbook!!!!"

(I'm sure that at least some of you old timers remember that old TZ episode -- I think it was called "To Serve Man")
Bob_Robertson

Feb 22, 2012
1:35 PM EDT
That wasn't Twilight Zone, that was Outer Limits.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 22, 2012
4:01 PM EDT
Normally I'm very liberal in my idea of what should appear on LXer, and the word "linux" is mentioned in passing ...

But I don't post everything I write to LXer. It has to relate to the topic at hand (free software and related hardware, and the use thereof).

I understand the temptation to post any tech-related story to LXer, but in this case Ken should have held up and not posted this story, in my opinion.

Ken, just so you know, I do follow your writing, and I'm glad to see this article nonetheless. It doesn't need to be linked here, though.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 22, 2012
4:04 PM EDT
Don't bother, ComBob, I looked it up. You are correct, it was a TZ.

Now, about those read-write cycle problems with brains....
tuxchick

Feb 22, 2012
4:05 PM EDT
Dead puppies aren't much fun.
ComputerBob

Feb 22, 2012
5:38 PM EDT
But Bud is a whole lot of fun -- he's about the most joyful and loving dog I've ever met. Grateful for every minute of life, and a perfect example of "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!