What I need is...

Story: AVG Antivirus For Linux/FreeBSD Plus Postfix Mail ServerTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
smallboxadmin

Jan 25, 2012
8:30 PM EDT
...a Linux console to deploy and update A/V on Windows clients. Linux Servers, acting as PDC's, run great, and scheduling ClamAV on a server is fine, but what I need I can't find.

Deploying isn't a requirement, but I can't find a Linux based A/V console, that runs on a server, that will control and update Windows clients.
JaseP

Jan 26, 2012
9:40 AM EDT
Redirect the Win clients to a mirror of the repository held on the local Linux server, maybe?!?! Maybe you could run a DNS server & web server on the Linux box and intercept the URL/IP address called by the antivirus programs to look there instead...

I assume you are trying to minimize the AV clients from going out to the web individually, hogging the bandwidth and updating before you are sure they're ready. Note that this is not too dissimilar from running a mirror on a Linux server for updates to the distro they're running...

It's overkill for sure. But it might work.
jhansonxi

Jan 26, 2012
1:27 PM EDT
HTTP intercept will not work if the clients are using SSL. The clients either need the ability to use and alternate server for updates or the server needs access to the client systems to install updates. Another option is to set up a script on the clients that checks for updates on the server then retrieves or installs them. I used kixtart for those type of tasks in my Win admin days.
Khamul

Jan 26, 2012
2:55 PM EDT
Seems to me it'd be better to try to avoid Linux tools for Windows boxes as much as possible, and stick with high-cost proprietary tools that don't work very well, while keeping other Linux stuff on the side, so that you can blow the budget with all that proprietary junk. Then when management complains, you can point out how expensive the Windows stuff is, and how much money they'd save (and time too) by switching as much stuff to Linux as possible. By using Free tools to help Windows boxes work better, we're in effect making the Windows TCO lower, which is the wrong thing to do.
JaseP

Jan 26, 2012
4:31 PM EDT
Unless, of course, the suits know very well it can be done with free operating systems. And then, by not doing so, you look like an (insert your favorite expletive here) for not doing so...
Khamul

Jan 26, 2012
5:36 PM EDT
If that's the case, then you go ahead and do what they say, but with the caveat, "[our vendor] would prefer us to use this expensive proprietary tool for this job, rather than using a free 3rd party tool, even if that tool is better." If you don't trust the vendor and don't want to follow their advice, then why are you using that vendor's products?
jdixon

Jan 26, 2012
6:06 PM EDT
F-Secure seems to have a Linux version of their policy manager which might be what you're looking for:

http://download.f-secure.com/webclub/fspml10_releasenotes.tx...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!