So you can use an iPad to do this...why would you?

Story: Using a Tablet as a Portable Management ConsoleTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
4ebees

Nov 17, 2011
4:20 AM EDT
I really am unclear as to what the benefits may be.

The device has no keyboard so typing ANYTHING is slow. Okay, you can get a bluetooth keyboard...but there's already a keyboard on cheaper laptops which have more power, more storage and can do everything an iPad can do and more....except they don't have touch screens but then this is of no use in this situation anyone.

Seriously? That you can do what you're pointed out is fine, but I can see no advantage and lots of disadvantage when using an iPad for doing more than consuming pictures, browsing, reading etc.

As an exercise, fine. As a practical solution to a problem...
r_a_trip

Nov 17, 2011
9:56 AM EDT
I guess it is part of a scheme to goad corporations into the pipe dream of being able to use cheap, underpowered machines/Pads for everything, while they do the heavy lifting in "The Cloud".

That this doesn't really work in practise, doesn't really matter. A soon as management has bought into the new invisible clothes, it is the workforce who may solve/workaround the problems of the new system.

It is much easier to shout "Make it so!" than to seriously think about the implications of your decisions.
JaseP

Nov 17, 2011
1:17 PM EDT
Agreed, typical Dilbert - ism mentality. That said, tablets are getting better, they just aren't capable of much more than being smart note pads with contact & scheduling abilities. They are part of a paperless office solution, ... but not the only part.
djohnston

Nov 17, 2011
5:04 PM EDT
Because Ken Hess says so?

DISCLAIMER: I no longer read anything Ken Hess writes. I refuse to add another click to any of his articles.
tracyanne

Nov 17, 2011
6:47 PM EDT
IPads, I wouldn't touch one with a a barge pole while wearing a Hazmat suit. Apple have you so locked down it's not funny.
JaseP

Nov 17, 2011
11:43 PM EDT
I may be getting an iPad2,... Not that I want one, mind you, but because my work only supports that iPad for getting email over WiFi while out of the office. I have an Acer Iconia a500,... & it's more than enough tablet for me.

helios

Nov 18, 2011
7:38 PM EDT
@ JasP

I looked at the Iconia and it looks like it might be something I'd use down the road for meetings and working from my car or on a plane....
JaseP

Nov 19, 2011
11:59 AM EDT
It's a very nice tablet. I almost wish I hadn't bought the cheap Chinese imports that I had first, that broke because of poor build quality. Although, the Iconia HAD dropped $100 in the interim, & I have plans to fix/convert the cheap imports into home control & communication station...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!