Why bother?

Story: Fedora 16 GNOME: New and StableTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
Grishnakh

Nov 10, 2011
1:51 PM EDT
If I want a dumbed down user interface, I can just go buy a Mac.

Seriously, if someone who's not very good with technology asked me what computer to buy, I'd advise them to buy a Mac. I'd never suggest they use Linux. Then, if they have problems with it, they can call up Apple, or take it to the local Apple store for help, instead of bugging me since I know next to nothing about Macs. The last thing I'd want to do is suggest someone use Linux, they start using Unity or Gnome3, and every time they have a problem (which would be frequent--we're talking about someone who isn't very computer-savvy here), they call me up, and then I still can't help them much since I don't use Unity or Gnome3.

JaseP

Nov 10, 2011
2:27 PM EDT
I don't know,... I've set up a few people on Linux & rarely ever hear from them... The machines just won't break ...
Fettoosh

Nov 10, 2011
2:29 PM EDT
Quoting:I'd never suggest they use Linux. Then, if they have problems with it, they can call up Apple, or take it to the local Apple store for help, instead of bugging me since I know next to nothing about Macs.

Silly statements.

When people have problems with their Macs, they are not going to call Apple since it would cost them an arm & a leg. They are not going to pack up and go to the store unless they absolutely have to, it is too inconvenient. They will ask a friend, or search the Internet (Google) for a solution or help on forums.

It is the same with Linux and even better since there are many more Linux forums on the Internet than Mac. Unless you are a friend, Why should they ask you? If they do, just tell them to go search or call the DIstro, or get some sort of paid-for support from Distro or any one else . If they don't want to learn, may be they are not ready to use Linux. It is just that simple.

In case you missed it, Linux is just as easy as any other OS and no one is born with any knowledge.

Grishnakh

Nov 10, 2011
3:33 PM EDT
Fettoosh wrote:In case you missed it, Linux is just as easy as any other OS and no one is born with any knowledge.

I disagree: I've read too many accounts now of people "upgrading" their non-techie wife/friend/etc. to the latest Ubuntu/Unity version, only to have them constantly calling them with all kinds of questions and complaints about how to do things that were previously easy.

Linux used to be just as easy as any other OS, but that was before Gnome3 and Unity came around and made it so you couldn't find your programs, couldn't minimize your windows, and couldn't turn off your computer, because those things are "too confusing".
Koriel

Nov 10, 2011
3:49 PM EDT
I disagree also, spent 19 years in IT and truly their are just some users you dont even want near a PC let alone Linux.

Even pointing them towards a Mac can be a daunting experience for some of them but it is the easiest option for users with little aptitude for computers and they do exist.

Would I send them to a linux machine, no way in hell would I inflict even the easiest Linux distro on them they are fraught with just too many problems such as unsupported wireless, audio problems usually pulseaudio, cant play their mp3's, dvd's out of the box all this mounts up and its pretty much different for each distro. Only recommend Linux to a computer noob if you are willing to provide them the training and support in using it.
Fettoosh

Nov 10, 2011
3:55 PM EDT
Quoting:I'd never suggest they use Linux...

to the latest Ubuntu/Unity version, only to have them constantly calling them with all kinds of questions and complaints about how to do things that were previously easy.

You were talking Linux then switched to Unity & G3, Make up your mind, Unity/G3 are not Linux. There are many other distros that use, XFCE, LXDE, KDE4, etc.. and DE doesn't have to be Unity/G3.

slacker_mike

Nov 10, 2011
5:45 PM EDT
All this endless complaining over Gnome Shell and Unity is just getting old. I think it is safe to say you aren't the target audience of either of those DE's. I will say that the less tech-savvy people I know seem to have a positive reaction to Gnome Shell.

As for whether or not Linux should be an option for the non-tech savvy, sure it most likely isn't but that has more to do with installation. The non-tech person doesn't upgrade their OS they simply buy a new machine with a new OS. The person who struggles (as my father does) to post a craigslist listing, or save a picture from their email will struggle with any OS.
gus3

Nov 10, 2011
6:03 PM EDT
It isn't that we aren't the target audience for the new Gnome; it's the insistence by the devs that our useful environment(s) are deprecated, sub-standard relics that only some moron would want to keep.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is totally lost on these people.
tracyanne

Nov 10, 2011
6:13 PM EDT
Quoting:They will ask a friend, or search the Internet (Google) for a solution or help on forums.

It is the same with Linux and even better since there are many more Linux forums on the Internet than Mac

No they don't. Most people don't know how to use a search engine, and they don't know how to use the results they get, or if it's a computer are too scared to do what it says, in case they break something.
slacker_mike

Nov 10, 2011
7:23 PM EDT
@gus3 I understand that sentiment but I think this is the flip side of the free software coin. Largely volunteer based projects get driven by the whim of the developers. I would imagine most developers are not excited about doing bug fixes and maintenance work and the type of things that drive new contributors are working on the exciting new things. I could be wrong. I see it as developers scratching their itch sometimes at the expense of some of the users. Now that might seem off from a customer/product standpoint but I would imagine that most volunteer Devs don't seem them as providing a product but having a vehicle to hone their skills, be creative, and challenge themselves.
Fettoosh

Nov 10, 2011
7:52 PM EDT
Quoting:No they don't. Most people don't know how to use a search engine...

@TC,

I guess you missed my statement in my previous comment, which said:

Quoting:If they don't want to learn, may be they are not ready to use Linux. It is just that simple.

kikinovak

Nov 11, 2011
5:27 AM EDT
So basically the author of this blog managed to wade through an install, and after taking a peek at the wallpaper for ten minutes, decided Fedora 16 was "stable". My crystal ball is more reliable than this Dark Duck guy.
tracyanne

Nov 11, 2011
5:32 AM EDT
@Fettoosh, I missed your reply to me, as you addressed it to Carla... I'm usually referred to as TA.

I did see your "If they don't want to learn, may be they are not ready to use Linux. It is just that simple." comment. My comment still holds as I wasn't referring specifically to Linux. In my experience most people, regardless of the OS they are using, don't know how to use a search engine, or interpret the results, and are mostly too afraid to do what it says, as they fee damaging the computer.
r_a_trip

Nov 11, 2011
11:43 AM EDT
It isn't that we aren't the target audience for the new Gnome; it's the insistence by the devs that our useful environment(s) are deprecated, sub-standard relics that only some moron would want to keep.

It is worse than that. Even if the Devs want to tap into new audiences, they can't abandon their installed base the way they did. For all intents and purposes, we techies are the support arm for a DE. If the techies don't use a DE, a neophyte is on his/her own in that DE.

Gnome split their userbase. They target the mobile generation, but they abandonned the traditional desktop users. Even if they get a huge influx of their desired new type of user, they have lost a considerable amount of their old userbase. Who is going to figure out the peculiarities of their new DE and find the workarounds and solutions to the problems cropping up? Not the new target audience. Not the techies who abandonned Gnome 3. The remaining techies, who like to overuse their mouse (compared to Gnome 2)?

The Gnome team should have been more conservative in their approach and introduce new technology where it made sense and where existing workflows wouldn't be made impossible. This would have ensured that the current userbase could adapt and be there as the support group for neophytes.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!