Netflix on Linux

Story: TLWIR 24: HP’s Redstone Servers, Open Source Textbooks, Netflix on GNU/Linux and MoreTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
techiem2

Nov 07, 2011
6:24 PM EDT
(posted in comments on article...who knows if it'll get through lol)

Netflix support on Linux isn’t an issue of Silverlight.

Netflix already has Android apps and also has an app for the Boxee Box (Linux based media center box).

The issue with Netflix on Linux is building a client that will

1. run easily on multiple distributions and

2. conform to the ridiculous DRM requirements from the studios.
helios

Nov 07, 2011
7:41 PM EDT
I personally subscribe to civil and legal disobedience by using fastpasstv.ms. It streams everything I have even a remote interest in watching. I just finished catching up with The Walking Dead a few minutes ago. Install adblock plus to keep the adult and popup stuff at bay and watch whatever you want. Netflix wants to cut me out as a customer because I use Linux or because you live in the EU? Fine. I haven't turned on a television for any prolonged viewing in over a year. Fastpass has everything I need and it doesn't cost me a dime. And as a blessed relief, there isn't one commercial in the bunch. Missed two weeks of Dexter? It usually hits fastpass on my computer within an hour of it showing in PST.

Boy you're sure showing us huh Netflix?
herzeleid

Nov 07, 2011
9:47 PM EDT
Thanks for the tip helios, I'll check out fastpasstv.ms -
djohnston

Nov 07, 2011
9:57 PM EDT
+1. Thanks for the tip, helios.
Koriel

Nov 07, 2011
9:58 PM EDT
I use SelekTOR (google it) to watch UK TV, its free on Linux, just install tor then selektor, select GB UK as your country then your good to go just browse over to BBC iplayer, ITV, Channel 4 or 5 on Youtube.

If you have any problems with it let me know, im the developer and am always happy to take suggestions on improving it, oh and if your in the UK, I just added support to get around the proposed blocks on Newzbin and Piratebay.
tracyanne

Nov 07, 2011
10:40 PM EDT
nice one ken
helios

Nov 07, 2011
10:49 PM EDT
I'm really enjoying the British series Misfits....it's a lot of fun. And where in the he!! did the white girl with the, uh...expanded shirt size get that accent? I am guessing Wales but it's only a guess.
Koriel

Nov 07, 2011
11:20 PM EDT
Ahh the lovely Lauren Socha she's from Derby, England and its her real accent, love Misfits just started watching the new series you can catch it on Channel 4 on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/4od you will need SelekTOR or a UK VPN to watch it there though.

I hear they are in negotiations to make a US version, i really hope that falls through.

If you were in any doubt about her accent being real watch this clip of the Misfits cast on the Jonathon Ross show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_J_gc_oQak
tracyanne

Nov 07, 2011
11:34 PM EDT
The US version is, as usual, trash, well there was one exception to a US version being trash, and that was Queer as Folk... but then I never saw the UK version, so I don't know how much better it was.
helios

Nov 07, 2011
11:54 PM EDT
Ah, I forgot to mention about fastpasstv.ms. There is a list of servers to choose from. The more popular the show, the more servers it appears on The best two are putlocker and videoweed.es. Megavideo and videobb try to sucker you into a subscription so avoid them.
Koriel

Nov 08, 2011
12:03 AM EDT
The US version of Being Human wasn't too bad not a patch on the original but it had its moments unlike say Torchwood:Miracle Day the US version which is just plain awful and actually painful to watch, especially since I was heavily invested in the UK version and so wanted it to work, so that I could get more of my fix.

<Rant Mode On> Im pretty much resigned to the fact that a US version of anything foreign pretty much means rip out the grittiness, enfuse it with family values, signpost the plot so heavily you would be forgiven for believing that all Americans have single digit IQ's.

The US TV/Film industry show a remarkable disrespect for it's audience, I suspect the only reason they make any money is due to the number of politicians they have in their pocket or is that just the cynic in me. </Rant Mode Off>
Koriel

Nov 08, 2011
12:04 AM EDT
The Soho Share links on fastpass just takes me to a holding page but putlocker works fine.
helios

Nov 08, 2011
7:26 AM EDT
Unfortunately, ratings don't lie and ratings dictate airtime. My country is obsessed with sticking their nose into everyone else's business but their own. To them, "reality tv" that depicts several well endowed women cat-fighting over some out of work waiter, or B-list celebs ballroom dancing is quality television. I just shake my head and quietly grieve over quality television that has been canceled in place of these others.

It would lead outsiders to believe that the American TV viewing public at large, is an idiot.

Based on their TV viewing habits, I'm having trouble finding a way to defend them.
gus3

Nov 08, 2011
8:35 AM EDT
Waitaminnit...

Well-endowed babes fighting over some loser of a guy?

YES! There is hope for me!

/me does a happy dance
TxtEdMacs

Nov 08, 2011
9:14 AM EDT
My Dear August Gus III,

Quoting: [...] /me does a happy dance

It's time to let some reality seep in: You Are Not A Celebrity*.

YBT

* Despite my best efforts here to at least make you infamous.
gus3

Nov 08, 2011
11:32 AM EDT
MDBT,

Neither is the unemployed waiter.

:->
Grishnakh

Nov 08, 2011
12:10 PM EDT
Koriel wrote:The US TV/Film industry show a remarkable disrespect for it's audience, I suspect the only reason they make any money is due to the number of politicians they have in their pocket or is that just the cynic in me.

You must be young. Here's a very apt quote by Steve Jobs:

"When you're young, you look at television and think, There's a conspiracy. The networks have conspired to dumb us down. But when you get a little older, you realize that's not true. The networks are in business to give people exactly what they want. That's a far more depressing thought. Conspiracy is optimistic! You can shoot the bastards! We can have a revolution! But the networks are really in business to give people what they want. It's the truth." --Interview in WIRED magazine (February 1996)

You're not being cynical, you're displaying the youthful idealism that Steve talked about here: you think that people are actually smart enough to want to see better-quality entertainment than what the US media feeds them. The sad fact that we older people realize, however, is that just isn't true. The media is giving the people exactly what they want, which is dumbed-down entertainment, such as reality TV about the Kardashians or B-list celebs trying to dance. The average American TV viewer is simply a blithering idiot.

I also wonder if the reason TV seems to have gotten worse than in decades past (not that it was ever great on average) is because of cable and then the internet. Now the smarter people just don't bother watching prime-time TV much, and instead watch specialty cable channels, or more lately just download stuff from the internet or watch stuff on Netflix, etc., rather than settling for whatever crap they show on primetime TV and then suffering through all the ads, not being able to rewind, etc. Why do that when you can just call up a movie on Netflix?
Koriel

Nov 08, 2011
4:02 PM EDT
Youthful? Im 47, but im still young on the inside I pretty much decided somewhere around the age of 22 that being an adult was overrated except for the getting into pubs bit, and point blank refused to grow up :)

My inner child is still intact thankfully, Ive kept my rebeliousness and still don't listen to a thing my parents tell me :)
tracyanne

Nov 08, 2011
5:11 PM EDT
Quoting: Neither is the unemployed waiter.

he is now

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!