Just spin

Story: Shuttleworth Misses the Point Yet AgainTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
montezuma

Nov 01, 2011
9:10 AM EDT
Well this is just the usual corporate happy talk by Mark. He sees tablets as the future and wants control over the GUI like Apple. This is the point about Unity not issues of it being a dog on a desktop. He is just trying to put experienced users down because if they keep whining it damages his brand.
flufferbeer

Nov 01, 2011
12:04 PM EDT
@montezuma and others,

I wonder whether Shuttleworthless would ever descend SO LOW as to actually use Unity to throw some corporate FUD on the ongoing OS patent wars between Macro$uck$ and Google over Android?? Sure would be a playbook taken from Macro$uck$' past and present history!!

2c
lcafiero

Nov 01, 2011
8:10 PM EDT
Montezuma -- That's a good point about Unity. One of the more profound mistakes Canonical makes here, and not many people have brought this up, is that a UI like Unity across a wide range of hardware -- both large and small -- is just not going to work (arguably, the same can be said for GNOME 3, if that's GNOME's aim as well). So with Ubuntu/Canonical's newfound attention to mobile, desktop/laptop users essentially have a choice -- suck it up and use Unity or use another distro. I think more people than one might think are choosing the second option, and it would be interesting to take a look at the numbers for Linux Mint, for example, or the other 'buntus going forward.

Also, flufferbeer, you may or may not know that I often blog about <understated_sarcasm> how Mark Shuttleworth and I sometimes don't see eye-to-eye</understated_sarcasm>, but I truly think that he believes what he says about his UI and there's no pretext, MS or otherwise, behind it. As I see it, he's trying to land some market share for Ubuntu on a variety of hardware -- more power to him (no sarcasm there, honest) -- and my only complaint is that he could be a little less disingenuous about his motives.
tracyanne

Nov 01, 2011
10:58 PM EDT
I think Larry about nails it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!