Timing of Stallmans remark bad, content right.

Story: Time to fork the FSFTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
paai

Oct 08, 2011
6:54 AM EDT
I am sorry to agree with Stallman at this point. Moreover I am amazed by the fact that the death of an engineer, albeit a very good engineer, is more like the death of Lady Diana than a normal human being.

Paai '
Koriel

Oct 08, 2011
10:31 AM EDT
Nope not even the content of Stallman's statement is right, and is why I am not a member of FSF either.

I believe in free and proprietary models and that the two can live together the "free software to rule them all" utopian message coming from Stallman and his ilk for the past so many years is frankly at best unrealistic and unworkable.

The plain stupid and ignorant statetments that Stallman is well known for, make the FSF look totally irrelevant and unrepresentative so i'm not suprised the author left and is calling for a new organisation to be created.

I figured out Stallman was an idiot somewhere around 1996 and this has allowed me to ignore him these many years but now he is starting to give free software a bad name and needs to go, ignoring him is no longer an option he has to called out on it.

And no, i'm not a Jobsian fan boy either, Jobs was at the other end of the spectrum with his proprietary utopian vision which i dislike just as much, never bought an Apple product in my life and never will. But I do recognise that Jobs shook up things just as Stallman did and both brought about good things but sometimes you just need to realise when your time is up and bow out gracefully.

RIP Steve Jobs, hopefully the FSF will see the error of their ways in time or it may well be FSF RIP.

jsusanka

Oct 08, 2011
2:46 PM EDT
"I believe in free and proprietary models and that the two can live together the "free software to rule them all" utopian message coming from Stallman and his ilk for the past so many years is frankly at best unrealistic and unworkable."

I agree with you in that sentiment. But too bad the proprietary systems out there and the folks who back them don't think the same way.

Sometimes you have fight fire with fire.

I think the two can live together if there were true open standards to write code too. But look at Massachusetts when they just wanted to decide on a document standard because that is how they wanted to run their IT infrastructure. Microsoft got senators involved and that was the end of that.

Proprietary system don't even agree on a document standard. So I would like to think the two systems can live together the proprietary vendors out there are making sure they don't. That is the realism today.
albinard

Oct 08, 2011
3:39 PM EDT
>paai said: "Moreover I am amazed by the fact that the death of an engineer, albeit a very good engineer..."

Not quite. In fact, not even nearly. Jobs was no engineer, either by degree, inclination, or achievement, any more than Edison was. He did not create devices, he identified a need for devices and found people who could create them. He was an outstanding businessman, marketer, and style-setter, and - according to a number of these threads today - rather an SOB. But not an engineer.
Grishnakh

Oct 08, 2011
6:28 PM EDT
Quoting:Not quite. In fact, not even nearly. Jobs was no engineer, either by degree, inclination, or achievement, any more than Edison was. He did not create devices, he identified a need for devices and found people who could create them. He was an outstanding businessman, marketer, and style-setter, and - according to a number of these threads today - rather an SOB. But not an engineer.

Edison was an engineer from what I remember reading about him. Not a great engineer, granted, but an engineer nonetheless. He just ended up moving into management and then being a terrible manager who found some success in certain products, while in other things advocating utterly stupid solutions and electrocuting innocent elephants to try to prove his stupid opinion.

Jobs I don't believe ever did any engineering, though it's possible he did some when he and Wozniak were working out of a garage in the Apple I days (I'm sure Woz did the lion's share of the work though). Jobs was more of a design and overseer type person. I don't know if he personally invented any of the designs of Apple products, or if he just got other employees to make prospective designs which he then chose from and made further suggestions to improve, but industrial design is something completely different from engineering.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!