I know!

Story: Microsoft's plan to stop Bing's $1 billion bleedingTotal Replies: 20
Author Content
fewt

Sep 21, 2011
7:02 PM EDT
Make it not suck? I don't know anyone that uses Bing. The last time I hit their search engine it had 1/10th the features of Google like - searching by point in time.
DrGeoffrey

Sep 21, 2011
8:51 PM EDT
Not fair, fewt. You might as well recommend that I become the King of Prussia.
techiem2

Sep 21, 2011
10:15 PM EDT
I do know people that use it...but that's generally because their comps default to MSN for the homepage and they browse the web via the search box at the top of it..... Now people that explicitly use it that know that there are alternatives? Not sure I know any of those...
herzeleid

Sep 21, 2011
11:11 PM EDT
What's bing? Who knows? I had to google it to find out.
tuxchick

Sep 21, 2011
11:23 PM EDT
No fair, I wanted to be first to say "Make it not suck." Which is beyond MS' ability.
tmx

Sep 21, 2011
11:43 PM EDT
There are too much Microsoft news on this website lately.
helios

Sep 22, 2011
1:06 AM EDT
There are too much Microsoft news on this website lately.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer...
DrDubious

Sep 22, 2011
12:32 PM EDT
"Make it not suck"? That's just unfair. Microsoft could easily make a product that didn't suck.

All they have to do is start making vacuum cleaners.

(Well, their keyboards and mice are okay...)
JaseP

Sep 22, 2011
12:35 PM EDT
The Kinect is supposedly nice too. Allegedly, it works in Linux, as well.
caitlyn

Sep 22, 2011
2:34 PM EDT
Anyone else using Duck Duck Go? I like a search engine that respects my privacy and doesn't store and sell my search queries.
ComputerBob

Sep 22, 2011
2:37 PM EDT
Scroogle.org SSL search.
Grishnakh

Sep 22, 2011
2:50 PM EDT
Google isn't always a panacea, especially its map service. Occasionally I'll go over to Bing Maps because Google isn't cutting it. For instance, until very recently, you could look at the Louisville, KY area on Google Maps, and it would NOT show you the city's name, at any zoom level! People complained about this for YEARS. I filed some complaints with Google through their built-in "report a problem" service; a few days later, they'd say the problem was "fixed", but nothing had changed. This is a metro area with at least 1.5 million people, but for some odd reason Google just didn't think it deserved to have its name on there. It's only recently been fixed.

In another instance, I recently needed to call a hotel in Irvine, CA that I had booked a reservation with. Google maps didn't show it at all. Bing did, along with their correct phone number.

Google also refuses to change any incorrect information on their maps (using their "report a problem" feature). In addition to the bit about Louisville above, I've reported many other glaring errors, where for instance it would say a business is located at some location, but there's nothing there, and even Street View shows it's just an empty road. Reporting the error will get you an eventual reply saying it's been "fixed", but nothing's changed at all. I gave up on reporting any more errors, as it's obvious that they never do anything with those reports. I don't know if Bing does any better with this kind of thing or not, as I haven't tried reporting any problems there.
techiem2

Sep 22, 2011
3:03 PM EDT
hehe. I recently used the report a problem to let them know the map image of my area here is extremely out of date (at least 8 or 9 years). We'll see if they ever fix that...
tracyanne

Sep 22, 2011
5:39 PM EDT
Quoting:Anyone else using Duck Duck Go?

DDG and IXQuick here
mrider

Sep 22, 2011
11:56 PM EDT
I use DDG all the time - I only resort to Google when DDG lets me down (not frequently).

As to Bing? Yeah like that's going to happen...
penguinist

Sep 23, 2011
8:41 AM EDT
Others "google". I "ask the Duck".
mrider

Sep 23, 2011
11:42 AM EDT
Quoting:"ask the Duck"

I like that!
fewt

Sep 23, 2011
12:03 PM EDT
@DrGeoffrey - I believe you would make a fine King of Prussia.
caitlyn

Sep 23, 2011
3:00 PM EDT
Another browser with a reasonable privacy policy is Blekko.

For maps Yahoo still does a good job, as does Mapquest.

Google+ may actually be less evil than Facebook, though.
tracyanne

Sep 23, 2011
6:12 PM EDT
Personally I'm very happy that the Google maps for my area are either out of date.
mbaehrlxer

Sep 23, 2011
9:31 PM EDT
caitlyn: i tried blekko a while ago. some search results were usable, but not enough so i gave up. have they improved yet?

greetings, eMBee.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!