Using Ubuntu since 1996?

Story: You can’t go Gnome againTotal Replies: 31
Author Content
CoreyB

Sep 20, 2011
5:36 PM EDT
This guy was using Ubuntu 8 years before the first release?
fewt

Sep 20, 2011
5:49 PM EDT
Weren't we all?
tracyanne

Sep 20, 2011
6:03 PM EDT
I sent the following email.

Sir, I really have only two question,

Which version of Ubuntu Linux were you usig in 1996?

And do you still have the install disks? as I am quite sure Mark Shuttleworth would like to have a copy for historical purposes.

regards

Tracy Anne Barlow
TxtEdMacs

Sep 20, 2011
6:27 PM EDT
A simpler explanation was that it was a simple error in converting from an Eastern lunar to a Western yearly dating system. A typographic error just seems too great a stretch. At least I hope so, wasn't the first Ubuntu release sometime around 2004 (or am I thinking of Firefox)? I thought I began using it around 2005 and on the second released version.
tracyanne

Sep 20, 2011
7:06 PM EDT
@txt, yeah, of course it will be a typo or some other mistake. For all we know he was a Linux user from 1996,
gus3

Sep 20, 2011
8:00 PM EDT
But... but... but...

Ubuntu is Linux! They are one and the same!
Jeff91

Sep 20, 2011
8:07 PM EDT
LOL GUS3.

Just made my night.

~Jeff
dinotrac

Sep 21, 2011
2:51 AM EDT
Guys --

A little research, please.

The first release of Ubuntu came out in 1968. A year later, Thompson, Ritchie, Kernighan et al created a stripped-down copy of Ubuntu at Bell Labs and called it Unix.
mbaehrlxer

Sep 21, 2011
4:29 AM EDT
dinotrac: sure, and next you'll be telling us that dinosaurs have been running linux too. you are tracking what dinosaurs were doing, right?

greetings, eMBee.
gus3

Sep 21, 2011
9:00 AM EDT
Well, if a lawyer says it, it must be true.
jimbauwens

Sep 21, 2011
9:19 AM EDT
Wow, I didn't know that dino!

Gee, doesn't that mean the BSD are based on Ubuntu, and are release the code under wrong License terms? Does that mean I can sue Apple?

(I really had to laugh, so thanks :)
number6x

Sep 21, 2011
10:56 AM EDT
@eMBee:
Quoting:"dinotrac: sure, and next you'll be telling us that dinosaurs have been running linux too. you are tracking what dinosaurs were doing, right?

Yes, Linux runs quite well on IBM Z machines. That's probably what shuttleworth developed it on back in '68. You should have heard the stoires Mark Shuttleworth, Bob Bemer and Grace Hopper used to tell!
gus3

Sep 21, 2011
11:07 AM EDT
And Bob Metcalfe used Ubuntu for developing Ethernet.
tuxchick

Sep 21, 2011
11:32 AM EDT
Ubuntu is teh noob. I've been using Debian since the early 1970s.
dinotrac

Sep 21, 2011
11:33 AM EDT
PC-DOS (and MS-DOS) would have been a great OS if only Bill Gates had patterned after Ubuntu instead that inferior, feature-deprived Ubuntu knockoff they made over at Bell Labs.

Wozniak actually wanted to run Ubuntu on the Apple II, but Jobs nixed it because it would make the hardware limitations of the machine so painfully obvious.
dinotrac

Sep 21, 2011
11:35 AM EDT
TC -

And a good choice, too. Debian is one of the better Ubuntu-based distributions. Ubuntu developers graciously acknowledged the Debian team's nice work when they renamed the Ubuntu packages from ".bun" to ".deb" at the same time they changed their package manager from "oven" to "aptitude".
jdixon

Sep 21, 2011
11:46 AM EDT
> Ubuntu is teh noob. I've been using Debian since the early 1970s.

I have it on usually reliable authority that Noah's onboard navigation system was running a pre-release version of Slackware. :)
dinotrac

Sep 21, 2011
11:49 AM EDT
@jdixon --

And you'll note, that Noah stayed afloat while everybody else took on water. My bet is their windows let the rain in.
gus3

Sep 21, 2011
12:31 PM EDT
So.... Patrick Volkerding is Noah?
fewt

Sep 21, 2011
1:03 PM EDT
Anyone use 4.3Ubuntu? I heard a rumor that it was multiuser.
TxtEdMacs

Sep 21, 2011
2:07 PM EDT
[serious]

tracyanne,

The thread has expanded disproportionately on tickling our funny bones. However, I wonder have you received any response from the author explaining the blatant misstatement? Since this appeared in a non-tech publication, perhaps the assertion that too many equate Ubuntu == Linux is valid. But I cannot reconcile that with a person that began using Linux back in the mid-nineties.

It would be interesting to learn the basis for this confusion, e.g. a printing or editorial error might be plausible. We see it all the time in tech and non-tech publications where the connection between the text (content) of articles are tenuously related to the column titles.

[/serious]

YBT
Koriel

Sep 21, 2011
2:46 PM EDT
Weren't we all using Slackbuntu back in 96? Im sure it did i remember using the DisUnity desktop which came on 20 floppys.

New biblical epic coming out called The Greatest Story Ever Fabricated by K.Hess" starring Patrick Volkerding as Noah, Linus Torvalds as Jesus and Richard Stallman as Moses.

With the tag line "Truly he was the son of Mark Shuttleworth" said in best John Wayne impression.

For the younger readers who might not get the references see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059245/

tuxchick

Sep 21, 2011
2:47 PM EDT
You all owe me a new keyboard and monitor.
fewt

Sep 21, 2011
3:02 PM EDT
Fuduntubuntu would not have been possible without Marks great inventions in 1968. For that I thank you.
lcafiero

Sep 21, 2011
3:15 PM EDT
Very funny, Koriel, and I hope the "kids" who weren't around at the time that film came out appreciate the assist.

Thanks, YBT, for trying to bring back the discussion to TA's earlier missive. I, too, would be curious to see if she got a response.

My take on this: The writer did the same thing I find myself doing occasionally -- running the '90s and the '00s together -- and his mainstream-press editor, who wouldn't know a Hardy Heron if it landed on his shoulder, didn't change it. I don't know what his excuse might be, but I blame age. Of course, the link to the on-line version of this story should have been changed by now, and the writer shouldn't have made the mistake in the first place. But there you have it.

If you take out that error -- a damning one indeed -- the article is not too bad, and for something like this to appear in a mainstream media outlet (error notwithstanding) is pretty impressive.

tracyanne

Sep 21, 2011
5:10 PM EDT
@txt, no. The email was undelivered, and I'm not sure if the web form was either, it returned a error message.
lcafiero

Sep 21, 2011
5:24 PM EDT
True, tracyanne -- I just tried to do the same on the web form and got the same message. Pity.
Fettoosh

Sep 21, 2011
5:24 PM EDT
Quoting:no. The email was undelivered, and I'm not sure if the web form was either, it returned a error message.

After reading the comments above, Does anyone blame the guy for deleting his e-mail account.? :-)

lcafiero

Sep 21, 2011
5:36 PM EDT
Fettoosh -- I can't speak for tracyanne, but I think she probably did the same thing I did. I went to the Manila Daily Standard's Web site and clicked on the "contact us" link. This brought up a form to fill out and a space for correspondence, which I filled out, wrote a note about the error in the article (with link) and hit "send." It should go to someone in the publication to route to whomever needs to see it rather than just bouncing. It wouldn't go directly to the writer from the main page's "contact us" link. But if it bounces, then this publication has bigger problems than this article.
Fettoosh

Sep 21, 2011
6:15 PM EDT
@lcafiero, I understand. I didn't intend for my comment to be taken seriously.

BernardSwiss

Sep 21, 2011
6:51 PM EDT
Maybe the just don't take comments from other parts of the world?
lcafiero

Sep 22, 2011
2:14 AM EDT
Ah. So noted, Fettoosh. My bad. I'll bring my sense of humor next time :-)

BernardSwiss: Interesting observation, since neither tracyanne nor I are from the Philippines (though I would find it hard to believe that someone in the Philippines didn't notice that error).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!