documentation

Story: Bodhi easy to install, operateTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
nikkels

Aug 28, 2011
7:39 AM EDT
I just wished they had their documentation available in pdf format. Or Zip, or Rar or whatever can be downloaded with one click
Jeff91

Aug 28, 2011
11:49 AM EDT
You can download our quick start guide in .deb form from here - http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/pool/main/b/bodhi-quick...

Then just manually extract it and you will get the quick start guide in html form. Converting our "guide to enlightenment" is on the TODO for our next point release (within the next week or so actually). Hopefully PDFs will come soon after that if our doc team has time :)

~Jeff
gus3

Aug 28, 2011
11:53 AM EDT
A script to accomplish that, plus a "Download Quick Start Guide" in the menu structure, would be a fantastic boost, and cost little in the way of ISO image size.
Jeff91

Aug 28, 2011
12:45 PM EDT
gus3 - The quick start is installed by default on the Bodhi image and there is a link to open it in the main menu already. The same will be true about our "guide to enlightenment" with our next release.

~Jeff
lcafiero

Aug 28, 2011
2:21 PM EDT
Enlightenment: I was a resident at the San Francisco Zen Center for two years and never heard anything about a desktop :-)

For a mainstream press article -- and I'm assuming the Sudbury Star is a newspaper -- this is a very good review and I hope it gets some people in the area using Bodhi. Hope you're ready for an influx of new users, Jeff91 :-)
nikkels

Aug 28, 2011
7:25 PM EDT
Jeff91 Thanks for the link. Downloading now!
Jeff91

Aug 28, 2011
7:39 PM EDT
Our e17 guide in html just got finished a few hours ago actually - http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi/pool/test/b/bodhi-e17gu...

~Jeff
herzeleid

Aug 29, 2011
5:14 PM EDT
My pet peeve is distros that at first seem promising but fail in some basic requirement such as failing to anticipate that the user might just be one of those 98% who must operate behind a corporate proxy at work.

How does bodhi fare there? Last time I looked at it, it was graphically nice but I couldn't find any place to do the proxy setup... Sure, I could just put a proxy script in the startup or profile files, but It'd be a shame for the first time user if his experience was marred by having to spend his first day googling for how to enable a web proxy.
Jeff91

Aug 29, 2011
5:40 PM EDT
We don't pre-install any sort of software by default for configuring a web proxy. In fact, we don't pre-install much software at all beyond the E desktop. We don't try to anticipate or make choices for the user. We do however like to point them in the right direction for completing whatever task they are trying to accomplish.

Never had to set something like this up myself, but if you know of a good quality program for doing such I would consider adding it to our software center (http://www.bodhilinux.com/software) and creating an offline installer for it.

~Jeff

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!