Here's hoping

Story: What GNOME Can Learn from KDE's RecoveryTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Ridcully

Aug 23, 2011
7:03 PM EDT
Another great Byfield article I think.

I'd hate to see Gnome destroyed by development in a direction which from my impressions so far, the users obviously don't want. I don't use Gnome but a friend of mine does.....errr..... did. He has always used Gnome until Gnome3. He fought with Gnome3 over a period of a couple of weeks and then became so frustrated he simply dumped it. For a short period he went backwards to a distro that used Gnome2, but then investigated Unity.......His experience so far has been excellent and he took enormous pleasure in displaying to me how he has managed to make Unity do just what he wants. There is no way he will look at Gnome3 again while it persists with its current structures. He loved Gnome2 - he candidly detests Gnome3.

Here's hoping the development team takes notice very quickly of what I perceive to be a major problem. My advice ? For what it is worth, "pull Gnome3 off the shelves" until it has been restructured to conform with Gnome2 and then begin to improve that basic structure - with user options for the features......one small step at a time seems better than being thrown into a whole new and apparently unfriendly universe.
Fettoosh

Aug 23, 2011
9:48 PM EDT
Quoting:Another great Byfield article I think.

A great article indeed, and the following quote really summarizes why the KDE Team deserve much credit and an indication of how much they care about their users. It also shows how committed they are to bring more features and innovations by adding new interface styles but keeping the classical desktop interface intact.

Read the feedback/comments section under the link below to see a sample of good communication.

http://vizzzion.org/blog/2011/08/plasma-active-on-opengl-es/

Quoting:Just as importantly, although KDE 4.0 seemed to contain a series of radical changes, most of the actual changes were in the creation of back end sub-systems and largely invisible to users. What was placed in front of users were extended traditional desktop concepts such as icons and virtual workspaces, but in such a way that users could ignore the innovations if they chose, and -- aside from a smaller range of configuration options -- continue to work in much the same way as they had in the KDE 3 series.

With KDE 4.7, I can definitely say that most features that users had in KDE 3.5.x are now in KDE 4.7 plus a whole lot more than anyone can dream of having on classical interface desktop.

KDE 4.7 resolved the numerous issues that DKE 4.0 had, but it still have issues with some of the new features (Semantic Search/nepomuk, KMail 2.x, Amarok 2.x, etc), but those are being worked on and they are improved with every new release.

Some commentators couldn't continue complaining about missing features or lack of new ones, so they are attacking the character of the KDE team. This is unfortunate and I am not sure what they are trying or could accomplish with such an derogatory approach.

I guess people have opinions as different as their faces.

[Edited: Added link above]
jdixon

Aug 24, 2011
6:02 PM EDT
> Some commentators couldn't continue complaining about missing features or lack of new ones, so they are attacking the character of the KDE team.

Not character, actions. Which may be reflective of character, but are not the same thing. And that's always been the primary point of complaint. Bugs and features pale in comparison.
Ridcully

Aug 24, 2011
6:28 PM EDT
Fettoosh, I'd like to support Jdixon's comment on this as well. My impression has always been that the frustration, anger and complaints have been exclusively against the software and the direction it was taking, but not the development team itself. The biggest criticism I have seen leveled against the team continuously was the one of "not listening to the problems raised and going on with a direction largely unwanted by the user base". Even then, that is not strictly attacking the team but the path it is taking in software development.

Except for Aaron Siego, the KDE4 development team remains a group of "faceless men and women" to me, and I suspect it is the same to a majority of users. Apart from my wanting to pound a dirty great club over Aaron's head with the words on it "Please listen to the user's feedback", I have no axe to grind against any of the KDE team and I suspect that most other users are the same.

I said earlier and I repeat it again: there needs to be an alternative way to contact the team that is not exclusively in the realms of either being part of the software development team or submitting a bug. I have the feeling that the biggest organisational failure in both Gnome and KDE is the lack of a method of user feedback to the developers which allows subjective ideas to be put forward in plain language. Commercial firms have a Public Relations Officer but I am uncertain as to whether or not both Gnome and KDE have such a person and if such a feedback channel to them exists......or even if it provides viable feedback to the actual developers.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!