Scott_Ruecker

Aug 21, 2011
1:48 AM EDT
I Love It!!

;-)
cr

Aug 21, 2011
10:11 AM EDT
Wouldn't they be more likely to build on BSoD?
flufferbeer

Aug 21, 2011
4:29 PM EDT
@cr,

How about a M$-BSoD or even better, a number 7-like M$-OpenBSoD?? Even a M$-FreeBSoD or M$-PCBSoD will do just as well if the Borg are out to steer computer users completely well away from the GPL anyway. Hah!! ;)

-fb
HoTMetaL

Aug 22, 2011
12:10 AM EDT
In a related story... I wore a tee shirt to work Friday for our 'casual Fridays' (yes we actually call it that). It was royal blue and featured the classic Windows BSoD text. True story here: a Windows 7 fan I work with made his argument that my shirt was no longer valid because, in his words, ..."the new Windows crash screen looks nothing like that..."

I can't make this stuff up.
Fettoosh

Aug 22, 2011
12:01 PM EDT
Quoting:"the new Windows crash screen looks nothing like that..."

Shame on you for not upgrading and keeping your T-Shirt up to date. :-)

Hilarious!

Scott_Ruecker

Aug 22, 2011
5:59 PM EDT
Too Funny HoTMetaL, stick with the old school one I say.

lcafiero

Aug 22, 2011
6:30 PM EDT
HoTMetaL - Fettoosh is right: Hilarious!
Ridcully

Aug 22, 2011
7:04 PM EDT
I am probably going to be hammered because I am going to be serious for a moment. I thoroughly enjoyed that list until it got to #1, and then I got seriously irritated because I am fed up with people dumping and trashing SUSE. I have as good a sense of humour as anyone, but I don't like to see very unfair comparisons being made.

Because of a commercial decision by Novell, which as far as I am aware did not compromise the SUSE Linux software in any way, SUSE continues to have muck thrown at it. Even in fun, muck eventually sticks. By all means, rubbish Novell for getting into bed with Microsoft if you must, although it's pretty pointless now - and perhaps that's why the FOSS article decided to attack SUSE. (Oh, and I am the first to agree that I found Novell's commercial decision repugnant and disgusting !! Whether it was necessary or not.)

I have used SUSE for the past 10 years and it remains my OS of choice. As far as I am concerned, SUSE is one of the most solid and excellently engineered Linux distributions in existence and I draw everybody's attention to the fact that a recent report shows that SUSE equals Ubuntu as regards community esteem for the best KDE distributions around. Humour is all very well, but I think a FOSS group should have more sensitivity and plain common sense than to equate SUSE with a Microsoft release.

Evil snarl, and exits stage left before tomatoes are thrown.
tuxchick

Aug 22, 2011
7:12 PM EDT
Ridcully, then you might enjoy knowing that SUSE on IBM mainframes outperforms Red Hat. I learned this at Linuxcon.
Ridcully

Aug 22, 2011
9:30 PM EDT
Thanks very much Tuxchick.......no, I didn't know that. I have great respect for Red Hat and its increasing penetration of the enterprise area ~ but equally, I do know that SLED is also highly respected and works very well in similar situations.

I envy you and your colleagues so very much in that you can actually GO to these conferences. (If you happen to notice those words come out in green, your eyes aren't playing you tricks.) It's great that you can join in these functions, but in my position I find that distance and costs invariably outweigh the pleasure I would have in attending.

I guess in one sense, I am not over-surprised at the capability of SUSE on the IBM mainframes, but equally, it is another darn good reason as to why the FOSS article fully deserved my "gentle remonstrances".

Exits stage left without snarling and displaying a contented smile.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!