color me skeptical

Story: iPhone 5 to convert 42% of Android users, 67% of BlackBerryTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
herzeleid

Aug 02, 2011
1:53 PM EDT
nt
helios

Aug 02, 2011
5:34 PM EDT
Yeah, ,something stinks here. Diane's Son works within a large mortgage house here in Austin and he was the first in his section to get an Android phone. Within a year, all but 2 out of 16 Iphone users had bought an Android. The major complaint was that the Iphone couldn't do a number of things the Android can.

Based on this one experience I can verify as true, I think I hear the sound of axe-grinding in the background of this story. Being a student of written English linguistics, I spotted an obvious clue to said axe-grinding in the lead-in of the story itself.

Aside from the kind of tech geeks who desire an overly complicated Linux-based phone,...

I would guess that 70% or more of the people who own an Android have no clue that it is based on Linux. W hen it comes to phones, I plead guilty to being somewhat of a technophobe and I figured out the EVO within about 45 minutes. Let me show you something else...

These latest iPhone 5-leaning revelations come at a time when data has surfaced showing customer return rates for Android phones to be in the stratosphere,

This is either sloppy journalism or fabrication. Until I get a link to "surfacing data" substantiating this claim, I'm solidly in the fabrication camp. Anyone submitting something for publication should know better than uttering stupid things like "studies show..."

No, I tend toward calling BS on the premise of the "story".
DrDubious

Aug 02, 2011
6:25 PM EDT
I noticed the same clues that Helios did - obvious techno-tribalist drum-beating from someone over in the iCamp.
jdixon

Aug 02, 2011
7:25 PM EDT
I also love the precision of such technical terms as "to be in the stratosphere".

Cell phones break. They're mobile devices and subject to a number of wear and breakage factors non- mobile devices aren't. And smartphones, having more uses than normal phones, are used more and in more places, so they tend to break more. This isn't news to anyone who has even thought about the matter, much less researched it or even owned a cell phone.
patrokov

Aug 02, 2011
8:48 PM EDT
Helios, every iPhone user I have met who sees my "old" Samsung captivate's screen says, "wow! that's a nice screen." I am amazed at how limited the iPhone is every time I have use my wife's. It's incredibly difficult to sync movies, music, and graphics. It and its iTunes interface are NOT intuitive at all. The lack of a dedicated back button cripples the user interface, especially as individual screens' back buttons vary in location and name even within the same Apple app.

The only places where I see significant lag behind the iPhone is: 1. User interface lag. The iPhone may be slow at times but it hides it well 2. x2 playback in the stock music app 3. better IMAP support in the native app 4. Individual carriers crippling features for no good reason (why doesn't the captivate have a flash?)
dinotrac

Aug 03, 2011
9:10 AM EDT
@patrokov --

Re: Number 4 -- Amen!

I recently picked up an old T-Mobile G1 on the cheap. T-Mobile has discounts for plans without phone contracts, so picking up an "obsolete" phone on the cheap can save notable dollars.

Howsomever --

The T-Mobile OS on the phone was 1.6 AND did not permit tethering to a laptop AND did not permit storing apps on the SD card. A little trip to rootland and CyanogenMod took care of that.

I still need to tweak it to my will, but -- nice phone (OS).
cr

Aug 03, 2011
9:34 AM EDT
Quoting: This is either sloppy journalism or fabrication.

Either way, it's cheerleading. From their "About" page:
Quoting: Beatweek is the publication for music, podcasting, iPhone, iPod, iPod, and social media lovers.
...couldn't be much more explicit than that.
techiem2

Aug 03, 2011
1:13 PM EDT
re: Crippling the phone That's basically the major argument for flat out buying a phone unlocked and then using it with your carrier of choice (assume GSM...). Sure, it costs more, but you aren't 1. Tied to a contract just so they can recover the cost of subsidizing the phone. 2. Limited to whatever features the carrier "lets" you use in the phone.

I outright bought my N900 (ok, I probably couldn't have gotten one with a contract anyway, and didn't want a contract) and use it with the cheapo ATT prepaid plan. Data plan? Who needs it? The places I am usually at have WiFi. :)
Jeff91

Aug 03, 2011
1:23 PM EDT
Actually buying a phone outright is cheaper in the long run for you. This is because (at least with TMO) no contract plans cost less than contracted plans. My N900 was 450$ when I bought it almost two years ago - the cell plan I have is 20$ cheaper per month than a contracted one with the exact same features.

Meaning in two years I saved myself 30$ in service fees plus the cost of the cell that you pay under contract anyways (another 100-200 depending on the smart phone.)

~Jeff
herzeleid

Aug 03, 2011
2:12 PM EDT
Quoting:Beatweek is the publication for music, podcasting, iPhone, iPod, iPod, and social media lovers
So it's like going to a pit bull advocacy website and reading that pit bulls are harmless.
dinotrac

Aug 03, 2011
3:38 PM EDT
@Jeff91 -

YUP!

And if you're willing to pick up phones from "other sources" -- ebay, friends who've upgraded, you can save a lot of money.
techiem2

Aug 03, 2011
4:48 PM EDT
I've saved..well...lots...cuz I bought my N900 outright (also about 2 years I believe), and am on the $25 every 90 days prepaid plan (yeah, I'm not a heavy phone user). :P

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!