I love embraces

Story: Microsoft sends Linux a Happy Birthday videoTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
Jose_X

Jul 23, 2011
10:47 AM EDT
Humans rightly feel anger when embraces aren't genuine. You lower your defenses and accept the other. You lower defenses to focus elsewhere and expose your belly. It's one reason treason is punished so severely. It's a reason many personal relationships that turn for the worse result in so much pain.

This is also one reason many really dislike and distrust Microsoft. When direct confrontation fails, they bring out particular skill (though not shown in that youtube video) into an embrace... extinguish.

The video is a great way to admit no wrongdoing or offer nothing.

However, it might just be their way to create a (very) little suspense before their announcement that Windows is opening up its source code and Microsoft is dropping all patent attacks, directly or via proxy.

Did Microsoft Germany spend all of $100 in wages and computer resources on the person who created that video? I'm curious.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 24, 2011
9:06 AM EDT
Embracing someone makes it so very much easier to slip the dagger into their back.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 24, 2011
9:30 AM EDT
Oh Bob, come on ...
Quoting: [...] makes it so very much easier to slip the dagger into their back.

your telling me that sniper rifles are no longer bulk ordered at MS? Boy are you out of touch.

YBT
jdixon

Jul 24, 2011
9:46 AM EDT
> ,,,your telling me that sniper rifles are no longer bulk ordered at MS...

Some people (and companies) prefer the personal touch, txt.
Bob_Robertson

Jul 24, 2011
6:57 PM EDT
Txt, haven't you ever seen the movie "Leon: The Professional"?

Natalie Portman at 12 was already showing immense talent.
helios

Jul 25, 2011
12:37 AM EDT
Some people (and companies) prefer the personal touch

It's known in some military circles as a "CIE"....."Close, interpersonal exchange"

And Gerber is usually the only thing that comes between the two parties.

What...? TMI?

At least now you know.

TxtEdMacs

Jul 25, 2011
11:14 AM EDT
Bob,

The movie I remember was where a family was murdered in the early scenes when a gang came after their drug sales cash that was hidden under the floor boards. I remember the lead was a professional assassin who excelled a explosive demolitions (that ended his own life and most of the gang). The girl he befriended, was that Natalie Portman?

I also remembered the title as simply "The Professional" with Gary Oldman [?] as the lead. Is that the movie to which you referred?

[all serious and memory only - i.e. no lookups]

Txt.
helios

Jul 25, 2011
11:26 AM EDT
RE: "The Professional"

It was originally released under the name "Leon", and I believe that was the Europe release. It was re-branded "The Professional" for US release.

Why? Beats me. Still it was a great movie and I watch it twice a year. Oldman played his psychopathic part superbly, as always but wasn't the lead however I think Jean Reno stole the show, as did Portman. Great, great movie.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 25, 2011
12:04 PM EDT
My Mini Sun God,

More answers please ... you watch movies more than once!? There are a few movies I have had repeat viewings, but very few and it seem to be requirement that I own the DVD. For example, O Brother tickles me so I have viewed that several times along with Moulin Rouge and Kiss of the Dragon with some of the Bourne series. I own the Return of the King where I have not even broken the seal. Now having read the Last Ring Bearer I probably will sell it rather than watch the end of this propaganda laced legacy.

It was years ago when I saw the The Professional. It is likely that I watched it along with my son, so that is back in either his high school years or at latest his earliest years as an undergraduate. He is now more than a year out of law school and we have been watching TV series rather than movies when I see him.

Regarding the lead, I only remember vividly Oldman and the girl. It may because I identified with him that I still remember him as the lead character, however, I was never as good a shot as he is depicted. Moreover, hanging from a ceiling waiting until the room is shot to pieces only to swing down as kill off the assailants when they entered??? Never. I console myself telling my inner insecurities that was a stunt man or a body double or a girl made to look like a man ... have you seen the background shots on some foreign TV series where a burly guy doubles for the heroine using a wig in some far shots?

I remember others including police (some the bad guys) and someone (a woman) I think where she runs a school or some thing similar where the young girl shows up at the end with a bag of cash saying this is her last hope of a decent life.

Enough,

[mostly serious, except when I wasn't]

Txt.
jdixon

Jul 25, 2011
12:36 PM EDT
> It's known in some military circles as a "CIE"

I wouldn't know that Ken. I've never served in the military, and thanks to President Nixon I'm one of the few living US citizens who isn't even in the Selective Service database. Which doesn't mean I don't appreciate those who have served, merely that I wouldn't make a very good soldier.

However, as I suspect growing up in Texas does, growing up in rural WV tends to give you a wide range of experiences with personal weapons and the people who use them. And yes, we have a Gerber in the house. :)
TxtEdMacs

Jul 25, 2011
3:02 PM EDT
Quoting: [...] yes, we have a Gerber in the house.

jd,

Putting all the facts together, I am left with a few unpleasant conclusions. For example, your from a rural area and never even registered for the draft. You wouldn't make a good solidier. Hell I was in high school ROTC and was thinking of going to West Point at the time, until I saw some turn into ful fledged A. holes upon getting some tin on their shoulders. As usual I had been given responsibilities without rank, which I did not mind as long as rank was not pulled on me. So I too would not have been a good soldier and I left. So I know what you mean.

The conclusions are inescapable, before the Internet you were free with your learned critiques that went unappreciated. Instead it incited extreme violence against your body, resulting in the complete, irretrievable loss of your dentures. Moreover, falsies would not work due to the damage to your gums. Therefore, you are fully stocked in Gerbers to meet your minimum dietary needs.

Case Closed.

YBT

P.S. What the h*ll is a Gerber? I presume a weapon of some sort, but I cannot connect it to any I have seen in hand or I have read about that might have that alias.
gus3

Jul 25, 2011
4:02 PM EDT
A Gerber, in the hands of a toddler, is indeed a weapon.

As is anything else she can pick up and throw.
jdixon

Jul 25, 2011
4:42 PM EDT
> What the h*ll is a Gerber?

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/products/knives
gus3

Jul 25, 2011
7:10 PM EDT
I was envisioning the baby food.

I hope I never meet the baby that considers that to be food!
Bob_Robertson

Jul 25, 2011
7:58 PM EDT
> I hope I never meet the baby that considers that to be food!

http://images.kane....blah.

Edit: Funny, I still can't make that come out right. Maybe I'll do the tinyURL like Gus...

http://tinyurl.com/3zy43cs
helios

Jul 25, 2011
8:02 PM EDT
LOL Gus...I would agree

I still have my vintage Mark II. Bought it in 74 and it's still as nasty as ever. Of course it sits in my closet now instead of strapped to my leg, put away with my other relics of a past life but It is a classic and highly collectable. I'll probably pass it on to my oldest son who is a Captain in the Air Force.

http://tinyurl.com/3s9rudb
jdixon

Jul 25, 2011
10:34 PM EDT
> I still have my vintage Mark II.

I still think we have an authentic Gerber here somewhere, but the one I was able to find quickly is a clone of the Mark II, specifically, this one: http://www.militarycarryknives.com/CopiesClones.htm#Explorer...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!