I was wondering about this bit...

Story: Don't Throw Away Your Physical Servers Just YetTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
BernardSwiss

Jun 08, 2011
8:19 PM EDT
Quoting: "... that Windows NT 4.0 system that you just can’t take away must remain physical..."

I'm not in IT, but could this in fact be true? I'm thinking licensing reasons, here.

And maybe even whether it's an option. I'm not clear on how this works. Does "your OS" get "installed" or copied into the cloud, or does the cloud provider provide the OS and license?

What are the relevant restrictions or costs involved in moving an old, depreciated or obsoleted Windows product from the (presumably carefully maintained) old box on your own premises, to a new box or to a virtual instance "in the cloud"?
jdixon

Jun 08, 2011
11:35 PM EDT
> ...could this in fact be true? I'm thinking licensing reasons, here.

The current virtualization wave hadn't started yet when NT 4.0 was mothballed, much less when it was released, so I doubt very much it's license covers the matter. If it doesn't, it should be perfectly legal to install it in a virtual machine.

Added: Hmm... I may have to go find a Windows NT 4.0 SP6 license just to check.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 09, 2011
6:59 PM EDT
Who's running Windows NT 4.0?
caitlyn

Jun 09, 2011
9:07 PM EDT
The mythical company in Ken Hess' article. If you are running physical servers you must also still be running NT 4.0, donchaknow?
jdixon

Jun 10, 2011
8:31 AM EDT
> Who's running Windows NT 4.0?

Since there are still people using Win98, I'm pretty sure you could find someone running an Windows NT 4.0 server somewhere. As long as things work, people tend to leave them alone. And all you normally had to do with NT was reboot it about once a month or so to keep it working.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!