An excellent article, one I agree with whole heartedly

Story: Problems Linux Enthusiasts Refuse to AddressTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
tracyanne

Apr 05, 2011
1:22 AM EDT
I've been going through a process with a person who has wanted to move to Linux but has chosen to replace Windows on a computer that is decidedly Linux unfriendly. Now both of us are struggling to make it work.

Don't get me wrong this bloke is really chuffed, he has managed to install Linux on a machine that requires acpi=no, and even with all the remaining issues is absolutely delighted that he finally has Linux. Unfortunately it's a very poor experience of Linux.

I pointed him at various Linux vendors such as ZaReason and System76, but he elected to purchase this Toshiba... because it was cheaper. I even offered to ship him a machine from Australia with Linux preinstalled at cost price plus shipping. I can get them direct from the factory with Ubuntu preinstalled.

JaseP

Apr 05, 2011
9:51 AM EDT
I have a whole article planned out about the "hardware lock-out." It's just been long in coming & I want it not only to be excellent, but have a happy ending as well. That happy ending will be finally getting a full working Linux distro on my Viliv S5. I'm starting the slow process of patching/rebuilding the kernel to get it's exotic (& I suspect, intentionally chosen) hardware to work.

I am fairly certain that M$ has defied the part of their anti-trust consent decree that covered engineering obstacle to users installing programs other than M$ ones on their computers. The evidence is indirect, though.
BernardSwiss

Jun 05, 2011
8:34 PM EDT
I
Quoting: have a whole article planned out about the "hardware lock-out.

How's that coming along? You haven't forgotten about it, I hope.

azerthoth

Jun 06, 2011
10:42 AM EDT
I'll be looking forward to it JaseP.
JaseP

Jun 06, 2011
10:54 AM EDT
Quoting: How's that coming along? You haven't forgotten about it, I hope.

Nope, just side-tracked... As I said, I have planned a "success story," in the article, regarding overcoming that vendor lock-out due to user effort. I'm just trying to get the device working before I do (the Viliv S5 UMPC). Getting the thing working is just a kernel patch, reconfiguration & Ubuntu remix ISO away... Finished article will follow.
tqk

Jun 06, 2011
12:32 PM EDT
Quoting:I've been going through a process with a person who has wanted to move to Linux but has chosen to replace Windows on a computer that is decidedly Linux unfriendly.
There's a number of very simple solutions to this problem:

i) LiveCDs

ii) don't buy new stuff - buy used and old stuff at a fifth of the price of new stuff. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

iii) run a backup / sandbox machine on the side for when your new laptop fouls up, and to test upgrades & etc.
Fettoosh

Jun 06, 2011
2:00 PM EDT
Quoting:The state of Linux pre-installed

I am not sure how popular Open-PC is or how well they are doing, but I believe it is a fundamental step in the right direction which will help Linux proliferation.

Their PCs are built with Linux supported components selected by readers consensus, comes with Linux inside, and with both Telephone and E-mail support.

If they are successful, I think they should expand to include OEM standard built computers and furnish support for multiple Linux Distros along with their own products.

A brief description from the site :

Quoting: What is special about the Open-PC?
  • Hardware and Software is selected by the Linux Community
  • The PC is preconfigured and easy to use by everybody
  • Telephone and Email support is included
  • Only free software is used, including the drivers
  • Only fully documented hardware is used
  • There are different manufacturers who build and sell the Open-PCs
  • A part of the price is a donation to KDE
  • Everything, including the software, is developed in the open. Everybody can contribute.
Fettoosh

Jun 06, 2011
3:20 PM EDT
Quoting:A part of the price is a donation to KDE

Hmm, May be they, or a different group, could come up with a GNOME version and send donations to GNOME.

jdixon

Jun 06, 2011
3:26 PM EDT
>> A part of the price is a donation to KDE

> Hmm, May be they, or a different group, could come up with a GNOME version and send donations to GNOME.

Better to just not charge that portion and let the user decide which (if any) FOSS project they wish to support. Not everyone can afford to make a donation, and I might prefer to support Slackware.
Fettoosh

Jun 06, 2011
6:44 PM EDT
Quoting:Better to just not charge that portion and let the user decide ...

I agree and would drop the total cost down, which I personally think is a little on the expensive side and due to the offered e-mail & phone support, which should also be optional in my opinion.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!