Does it change anything? 'Polluters' remain!

Story: Senate Passes Landmark Patent Reform BillTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
hkwint

Mar 11, 2011
5:03 AM EDT
Apart from 'first to file', the article still left me wondering what is changing?

There's some part of the new bill which promised to make it easier to 'revert patent polution', which - in my own words - means making it easier to 'ungrant' patents which shouldn't ever have been granted in first place. So, to fix errors made by USPTO.

However, that part didn't make it. As USPTO is having too much work and AFAIK they're paid for the number of patents they grant - and not for the quality of their work - I wonder if anything will change at all. If so, the article doesn't mention it.

Just like 'buffer overflows' can be exploited, I think problems at USPTO will be exploited too.
phsolide

Mar 11, 2011
10:56 AM EDT
You've hit the nail on the head. This isn't "reform" in any sense of the word, except maybe "minor change arrived at by long deliberation".

Too many highly wealthy vested interests in the USA game or exploit the US patent system. Also, large pharmaceutical companies and other monied businesses use the tax-payer funded patent enforcement to their own advantage.

No true "reform", in the sense of "making more rational or basing on evidence" will happen without an utter collapse of the patent system.
gus3

Mar 11, 2011
4:53 PM EDT
Quoting:Just like 'buffer overflows' can be exploited, I think problems at USPTO will be^W^Ware being exploited too.
FTFY.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!