Wine looks great these days

Story: A Introduction to Bordeaux 2011.03 for Linux FreeBSD and PC BSDTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
skelband

Mar 02, 2011
5:25 PM EDT
Can't wait for the Windows port ;)

How many people actively use Wine? My own experience indicates that it will now run more things than it doesn't including a lot of games. Running 1.3 bleeding edge from git.

The biggest surprise that I had the other day was for experiencing printer support. I didn't cotton onto the fact until then that Wine provides a "pseudo" printer driver which covers the real Linux drivers and it works great.
twickline

Mar 02, 2011
6:46 PM EDT
Yes, Wine is getting better with each release and you can run many Applications and Games with Wine now.

Bordeaux makes it easy for anyone to install and run apps with Wine on Linux, FreeBSD and PC-BSD.

Bordeaux 2011.03 will run anywhere Gambas runs, so Solaris and Mac support will be next on our radar.

Cheers, Tom
Koriel

Mar 05, 2011
10:33 AM EDT
Ive been using wine for about 2 years now, its excellent for some dev tools such as the excellent free windows software packager which i use called Inno Setup. Wine allowed me to package up all the software i produce for windows without ever leaving linux. Even though im using it less now due to the fact that im moving to virtualisation environments.

It also runs WoW and a lot of other games extremely well which is a bonus, in fact some of these games wont even run properly on Win 7 such as Kotor 2 for instance which runs great on wine but crashes on startup on Win 7.

Long live wine.

number6x

Mar 05, 2011
11:45 AM EDT
In 1997 I followed wine closely. I was a new Linux user and had a lot of Windows software. Now Windows is so last century, I haven't thought about wine for years!

Windows doesn't have anything I need so, for me, wine is 'meh'.
caitlyn

Mar 05, 2011
4:35 PM EDT
I'm with number6x on this one. The only wine I care about comes in a bottle :)
skelband

Mar 07, 2011
2:28 PM EDT
We are in the position of, I think, a great many people.

We dual-boot Windows XP and Linux. The XP is only used for playing some older games that the kids like to play like various incarnations of Unreal and Unreal Tournament. Recently, I have been investigating the native Unreal versions and they seem pretty good. So no XP or Wine for this now.

However, for many other games, Windows was the only option until fairly recently. I've been playing a lot of games (Lara Croft, Chuzzle and some others) within Wine and they work great without any issue at all. For Netflix (which STILL doesn't have an official linux client) I run a virtualised XP and that works fine.

We use LibreOffice and a lot of the free included apps with Linux on our machine these days.

Wine is great for running a lot of legacy proprietary Windows applications and we have a shelf full of them that both we and kids use, and Wine is just great for that.

My hat goes off to the Wine developers for all the great work that they have done.
hkwint

Mar 08, 2011
3:15 PM EDT
I have tried several times running AD Inventor on Wine, but to no avail. So on VirtualBox now. Maybe I'd have to try again?
skelband

Mar 08, 2011
4:44 PM EDT
@hkwint: I feel your pain

According to the Wine AppDB, 1.3 is still a no-go :(

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId...

Perhaps you could submit some bug reports? It might be actually something fairly simple.

However, from a trawl around the internet, it might be caused by some copy prevention measures not easing into the Wine framework.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 08, 2011
7:20 PM EDT
I just cleaned out a stack of 1995-7 games, Command and Conquer, Hexen, things like that. I held each one up and thought, "Would I play this again?"

No.

So WINE goes unused.

tmx

Mar 08, 2011
11:23 PM EDT
Quoting:Ive been using wine for about 2 years now, its excellent for some dev tools such as the excellent free windows software packager which i use called Inno Setup.

Don't know why I never though of that, I guess I never thought it would work. My installer 600mb and uses various NSIS plugins, just installed NSIS through Wine and without changing my scripts the installer compiled successfully. Of course, I still would need to test it in an actual Windows environment, but this is very convenient.

There are games I wish to play that only work for Windows 98 and I couldn't get working for Vista /7, such as System Shock 2 and Thief. I'll have to give them a try too.
jezuch

Mar 09, 2011
3:15 AM EDT
Quoting:"Would I play this again?"

Heh, I would play Hexen again... ;) I think there is a Linux port somewhere... Or it's my imagination pretending to be memory again...
hkwint

Mar 09, 2011
7:38 AM EDT
skelband:

Actually, I'm not blaming Wine. The dependence of modern CAD-programs on Microsoft is just outrageous.

Both Inventor and Solidworks need MS Office (!), parts of .NET, IE6+ (!) and I believe Flash. I'm pretty sure MS somehow 'bought' those vendors; see http://techrights.org/2009/01/12/bill-gates-jihad-vs-linux/

All those CAD-programs ran on UNIX in the past, and now they're Windows-only. Pro-Engineer was the last one to stop UNIX-support, not too long ago. From experience, I can tell sometimes they halt with no apparent reason, so they're not that stable on Windows. Thrice a day is considered normal, which means losing some work about three times a day.

I wanted to run some CAD-software when I was undeployed, to continue to practice and make sure my skill level didn't fall too much. But now I'm working with SolidWorks everyday, so the problem is gone!

Even AutoCad today can only be installed (with student license) if you also install Inventor, so even AutoCad probably doesn't work with Wine, though I'm not sure. Pretty sad.

I hope someday the CAD-vendors will make a web application which uses WebGL, which would be a smart business decision because then they're no longer dependent on architecture, browser and OS.
skelband

Mar 09, 2011
5:15 PM EDT
@hkwint:

I read the link: some of the things on the documents they have there are hilarious!

Quoting: Chicken & egg problem that ISVs still see no customer demand for Windows versions

o ISVs are trying to reduce the total # of platforms they support cuts their R&D, support etc. costs. Ideal scenario for them is that UNIX disappears and they support only Linux.

Intel’s perspective on what’s not changed since the last time

o Continued need for interop (b/w UNIX and Windows, in our case)

o Continued need for stability of environment, OS, shell environment, scripts, etc.

Microsoft's response to Intel: "We know all that, but please will you run Windows internally and port all your webservers to IIS?"

Ha ha harrr! ROFL

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!