Linux back on the PS3

Story: Sony finally responds to Fail0verflow PS3 “root key” hackTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
chalbersma

Jan 07, 2011
11:51 PM EDT
Do you guys think this will lead to Linux getting back on the PS3?
Sander_Marechal

Jan 08, 2011
6:47 AM EDT
Officially by Sony? No. But with the keys out in the open, there's no stopping anyone from running anything on the PS3 anymore.
Koriel

Jan 08, 2011
11:24 AM EDT
With that root key in the open they are pretty much stuffed, i would suspect they would need to change the hardware which is gonna be costly.

Thing is, I might consider purchasing a PS3 now that its an open platform :)
tracyanne

Jan 08, 2011
7:00 PM EDT
Quoting:i would suspect they would need to change the hardware which is gonna be costly.

That'll be the PS4, so maybe not so much.
JaseP

Jan 10, 2011
12:30 PM EDT
Hmmm, the PS3 is looking promising again as a part of my multimedia network.

Previously, I considered & dismissed it.
helios

Jan 11, 2011
12:31 PM EDT
I haven't bought a Sony product since the rootkit debacle.

Fool me once, shame on you....

h
JaseP

Jan 11, 2011
6:50 PM EDT
Yes, Ken, but this is kinda like Karma for them, don'cha think???

Now you can root THEIR product...
JaseP

Jan 13, 2011
1:11 PM EDT
Update: Sony has filed suit against George Hotz ("GeoHot") alledging copyright & DMCA violations, among other things. Hotz has retained Stewart Kellar ("e-Attorney at Law" & noted RIAA and MPAA file-sharing defense atty) in his defense on both jurisdiction & other defenses to their ex-parte TRO motion (scheduled for 9AM or so today, in San Francisco, with Hotz being a NJ resident & "served" via email yesterday evening).

Sony has apparently "donated" $1 to Hotz via PayPal, although it seems Hotz had expressly refused donations for his PS3 jail-breaking work. That raises 2 competing issues; 1) is Sony fabricating evidence & 2) did they effectively contract him for his work?!?!

I see Sony coming up smelling like dung in this. I guess buying a PS3 is officially out for me. Shame. It's decent hardware (blu-ray drive + a Cell processor Comp w/ HDMI out, bluetooth, wireless, etc).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!