Proof of the WWF intentions (from their Facebook admin)

Story: Save as WWF? No thanksTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
theBeez

Dec 06, 2010
5:29 PM EDT
Proof that the WWF was deliberately out to frustrate less savvy users (Translated from German):

That's what it's all about. Of course you can specify that a PDF cannot to be printed. However, many people are not familiar with this feature. But those who are not computer savvy should be made aware of their choices.
theBeez

Dec 07, 2010
5:51 PM EDT
There are messages on the Facebook page that the OS/X driver "phones home". No official answer from WWF yet.
tracyanne

Dec 07, 2010
6:09 PM EDT
They have certainly, and predictably, not responded to my email.
tracyanne

Dec 07, 2010
6:30 PM EDT
It is actually exceptionally easy to create a document in WWF "format", a simple export from OpenOffice.org, as PDF, with a few permissions like print revoked, and password protected, and renamed to filename.wwf does it.

So yes, creating this new "format" does indeed look like an attempt to frustrate less savvy computer users.
theBeez

Dec 07, 2010
6:38 PM EDT
It is confirmed by WWF that the OS/X driver "phones home". Allegedly only to check for a new version. It is still unclear whether the program explicitly asked permission when it was installed or at least informed the user of this behavior or whether it can be disabled.
tracyanne

Dec 07, 2010
6:47 PM EDT
Oh dear, proprietary operating systems, they are so naughty.

My personal opinion, so what if they phone home, so what if this "feature" can't be disabled.
theBeez

Dec 07, 2010
6:52 PM EDT
I don't like my machine going behind my back. BTW, this is not the only the problem of a proprietary OS, but also of a proprietary program (non-FOSS).
tracyanne

Dec 07, 2010
7:47 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't like my machine going behind my back.

There is a simple solution. It's your choice.
gus3

Dec 07, 2010
8:28 PM EDT
A question for Windows and OS X admins: Can the firewall rules block the "phone home" misfeature?

Or is that why this Creature from the Gooey Logon only runs on proprietary OS's? Because I expect this idiocy would be blocked with a single Linux iptables or *BSD pf statement.
theBeez

Dec 08, 2010
3:15 AM EDT
FYI: (a) I don't need a proprietary driver that adds no functionality; (b) We're not talking about me here. We're talking about ordinary users who think a firewall is a panacea for all internet ills - if they even know what it is. I don't think it's ethical even for an organization like WWF to release software that (a) doesn't inform users of this "feature", (b) doesn't offer a possibility to disable it, (c) doesn't Open Source it so nobody CAN establish (a) what is sent, (b) why it is sent.
tracyanne

Dec 08, 2010
4:24 AM EDT
Quoting:I don't think it's ethical even for an organization like WWF to release software that (a) doesn't inform users of this "feature", (b) doesn't offer a possibility to disable it, (c) doesn't Open Source it so nobody CAN establish (a) what is sent, (b) why it is sent.

I agree, in principle. However you appear to be conflating 2 separate issues here. One is already part of the OSX system, the other is merely a way of creating PDF files, there's nothing special about it, and it doesn't even require special software.
tracyanne

Dec 09, 2010
5:28 PM EDT
These, so called, WWF format files can easily be created on any operating system using the PDFCreator pseudo printer (and as I've already mentioned OO.o export to PDF. And probably any other export to PDF pseudo printer). In fact a simple change to the PDFCreator GUI would make the whole process one of entering an encryption password, and saving to a file.

So for those bloggers who have been complaining there is no Linux version of this rather silly idea, there already is.
tracyanne

Dec 09, 2010
7:03 PM EDT
Maybe we're not as smart as we think we are. I just tested a Print disabled PDF file on Windows and Evince (on Windows) honoured the no Print flag, while Evince (on Linux) ignores it.
gus3

Dec 09, 2010
7:07 PM EDT
tracyanne, which Windows? Vista/7, or XP/earlier?
tracyanne

Dec 09, 2010
7:25 PM EDT
XP, Vista and Win7
tracyanne

Dec 09, 2010
7:29 PM EDT
GSView (GhostView) on Windows ignores the Print flag.
tracyanne

Dec 09, 2010
7:40 PM EDT
Another thing, I noticed when opening this file. Evince refused to open the file when it has the .wwf extension stating
Quoting:File type - (application/octet-stream) is not supported

Which means it's using the file extension to determine the file type (a very Windows paradigm), and not checking the file headers, while on Linux it is correctly determining the file type from the headers.

GhostView, on Windows, correctly doesn't care what the file extension is.
gus3

Dec 09, 2010
8:11 PM EDT
I asked that, wondering if maybe Vista's DRM was kicking in. I guess it's something else.
JaseP

Dec 10, 2010
9:53 AM EDT
It's M$ S.N.A.F.U. (situation normal...). I only have one Windoze installation in my house & no desire to waste my time figuring out why it doesn't work. As long as I can get around the craziness (should any of my clients adopt this), I'm golden. That I can open & convert them in Linux is fine by me.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!