Strike one

Story: Member of largest supermarket chain in Italy hosts Linux presentationTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
djohnston

Oct 21, 2010
12:36 AM EDT
Quoting:Eventually, we chose Windows for the following reasons:

Lower Total Cost of Ownership: license costs are, in fact, just a small part of the total. The higher costs are those for training end users.

And these guys are asking
Quoting:thousands of people who may have never heard of Free Software
what they think of Linux?
r_a_trip

Oct 21, 2010
4:09 AM EDT
Microsoft must LOVE this Cooperative Supermarket chain. They recite the Get The Facts campaign FUD to a T.

It still is funny to see how unreasonable exit costs for Microsoft products gets distorted to lower TCO for those wares.

I can't shake the feeling this Supermarket chain is (ab)using the presentation as a form of entertainment. Have something out of the ordinary in your stores and it lures some more customers in the door. Potentially buying stuff they wouldn't have otherwise that day.

It's clear from the interview that the Coop doesn't care one iota about FOSS.
tracyanne

Oct 21, 2010
6:07 AM EDT
Actually if you've already invested in Windows, it is more expensive to migrate to Linux, it's called the exit cost, the cost of migrating away from Windows. It's a short term cost, to be sure, but one must be committed to paying that cost, but it's that cost that they are talking about.
hkwint

Oct 21, 2010
7:21 PM EDT
Sad they only think about 'ten years or longer' when it comes to real estate (bricks and mortar), not when it comes to software.

I've been wondering why the Coop I visited was so expensive. Maybe because there was only one 10km-oneway street and one track up the mountain, maybe because I was in Switzerland, but I think I know the real reason now.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!