What about initiative?

Story: Problems Don't Always Need Command-line SolutionsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
r_a_trip

Oct 09, 2010
1:00 PM EDT
I know that CLI solutions are probably bandied about more than necessary, but it is understandable. The CLI is the CLI is the CLI. As a quick fix solution, it can't be beaten. Forum answers are there to help people a la minute and then the quickest way to fix the problem is taken. Forums are not there to teach people how to use the various WM's, DE's and applications.

What about newbies just go the old fashioned route and get a book on their chosen distro and learn for themselves what their distro can and cannot do on their own time? I know I did that back in the day and the book on SuSE (pre Novell) by Kofler was a treasure trove. (These days Kofler writes about the big four, instead of only SUSE). Get to know the basics in your own time and don't expect the world to be your personal trainer.

Then again, I'm probably swearing in church with the above.
azerthoth

Oct 09, 2010
1:53 PM EDT
preaching to the choir here
AwesomeTux

Oct 09, 2010
11:41 PM EDT
I really like this comment on the subject: [url=http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/syndicated-linux-news-67/lxer-taking-command-–-why-none-should-fear-the-command-line-833372/#post4103750]http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/syndicated-linux-new...[/url]
caitlyn

Oct 10, 2010
11:29 AM EDT
When I've done volunteer technical support in a distro forum and I know someone is likely a newcomer I do explain it the graphical way or else give both solutions. The advantage of giving both is it often demonstrates why the command line, through unfamiliar, is often easier.
tuxchick

Oct 10, 2010
12:27 PM EDT
Quoting:we should never mention the "command-line" if there's a way to do the same thing graphically.

*headpound* What hath Linux advocacy fallen to? Maybe it's time for a real Barbie and Ken Linux, the talking Linux that says cute, helpful things like "Oh no, I cannot possibly type things!! Linux is hard and I am scared! I really need an iPad, except that is all complicated too because it has too many choices of like things and stuff! Oh no, a three-button mouse? OMG my head asplode!"
AwesomeTux

Oct 11, 2010
2:17 AM EDT
tuxchick, this guy says it the best http://www.tildehash.com/?article=problems-dont-always-need-...

"1) You might screw something up by blithely following a manpage that doesn't tell you about the conflicts you'll generate; 2) Graphical things should have graphical configuration tools; 3) we give people the impression that GNU/Linux has no GUI at all."
tuxchick

Oct 11, 2010
10:15 AM EDT
AwesomeTux, you can screw things up with a GUI config. The article and your linked article talk about giving users specific copy-and-paste examples to use, not wading through man pages. #2 is silly, and #3 is wrong. Besides, there is nothing wrong with making mistakes or studying man pages-- trial-and-error is an acceptable way to learn, reading documentation is a good thing, and computer users should not be afraid to make mistakes. It's just not a big deal.

It's a funny thing, CLI fans don't run around saying "GUIs are evil and stupid and scary and should die and they frighten noobs!" But the GUI weenies always say that the CLI should die, it's outmoded and terrifying, and claim that noobs will run away and never come back. If noobs are running away in terror it's because GUI weenies are scaring them. It's a ridiculous phobia and I am tired of it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!