This "debate" was summarized nicely a couple years ago...

Story: Debunking the 1% MythTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
bigg

Sep 10, 2010
2:02 PM EDT
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2008-05-08/
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
3:40 PM EDT
I disagree. There are more than enough sales figures since 2003 from IDC, ZDNet, Gartner, ABI Research, Dell and even Microsoft to show that the 1% figure hasn't been true since at least 2002 and probably for some time before that. There is more than enough data from more than enough credible sources to show that it is in excess of 6%.

The web counters used by those disputing my article often come from clearly biased sources. NetApplications rebrands and sells Windows software, not Linux software. StatCounter also has financial interests that are tied to Windows. The web counters that remain are all over the map and do not provide anything resembling a consistent result. The sales figures, on the other hand, show a steady and consistent pattern of growth since 2003.

Finally, if Steve Ballmer said Windows market share is 83% in the U.S. at the Windows 7 launch do you really want to claim that he is biased against his own company? That number is also consistent with my analysis.
bigg

Sep 10, 2010
4:42 PM EDT
> The web counters used by those disputing my article often come from clearly biased sources.

That is what I was referring to, because it is the web counters that are always cited. Maybe I should have said to imagine that Dilbert is making a presentation on behalf of one of the web counter companies.
caitlyn

Sep 10, 2010
5:24 PM EDT
OK, fair enough :) Then we do agree.
hkwint

Sep 10, 2010
7:31 PM EDT
I've been following Xitimonitor's numbers from some years, and when it comes to OS, they're about the same as the NetApps numbers: Consistently 0.9% for Linux for the last few years.

AFAIK, they're French and they count hits on European websites.

What makes it interesting, is they always have much higher numbers for FF-market share then NetApps does. But the same for Linux market share. So it's correct it matters a great lot if you're counting hits on US / European Websites (10% difference in FF-market share is no exception!), but there's not much difference in Linux market share.

So I think 1-2% (not counting Android) may be accurate after all (here I agree to disagree). We shouldn't forget most growth in PC-sales comes from countries where almost everybody uses pirated Windows, and RedFlag lost the battle after Bill Gates became involved.

Recently, I saw some numbers from France. I think in no (democratic?) government in the world, Linux is as popular as in France. And even in France, the market share was below 1%. All other countries in the EU are much more a Microsoft-friend than France, with my own country about the worst, even worse than UK (given the highest market share of IE throughout Europe, maybe except for Ukrain).
tracyanne

Sep 10, 2010
9:13 PM EDT
Quoting:Finally, if Steve Ballmer said Windows market share is 83% in the U.S. at the Windows 7 launch do you really want to claim that he is biased against his own company?

I think it's reasonable to support the view espoused by Steve Balmer, which places Linux uptake at over 10%. I can't see any benefit to Microsoft from pointing out that Windows is not as popular as is often claimed.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!