I do care

Story: OpenBSD — I'm back (and I'd like to think you care ... but I know you don't)Total Replies: 1
Author Content
hkwint

Jul 29, 2010
11:35 AM EDT
I think you're right it's about the quickest install of an OS someone can do, if contenders are Linux (any!), BSD and Windows.

Moreover, the text-based question-based install is about the most user friendly ever seen: I could explain to about anyone how to install it. "Just answer the question posed, and you'll automatically proceed to the next question", that would be. Wading through non-linear install processes is harder. Like a menu where you can go back and forth, choose 'expert', do bypasses, or be "thrown back" when something fails (like the ncurses-menu's in FreeBSD / Debian).

The thing I found lacking however (but that was in 3.3 I guess?) is there seems no automatic selection of repository-hosts to use with pkg_add. With FreeBSD, it worked out of the box, I could just start pkg_adding right away. Is that fixed yet?

It's sad OpenBSD is so hard to use for the desktop, otherwise it might be a great alternative to Linux. I especially like the man pages, which - because of the examples - are more user-friendly than those of GNU. Besides, I don't like long command-line options, which requires typing long commands. They're supposed to be easier to remember, but I still doubt their effectiveness.

It's a bid sad DesktopBSD is not that actively maintained at the moment, so I'll continue to use Linux. Because, overall, I find the desktop-experience of Linux better. Probably because it's more mainstream and draws attention from Adobe and the like (though Flash still sucks big time on this system, but that's just me it seems).
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 29, 2010
9:28 PM EDT
You still have to manually add a mirror to your .profile to get pkg_add working.

From what I understand, there's been some work done on the package management in recent releases.

The installer is a little easier in that you can select an auto-generated disk layout.

The FAQ tells most, although not all. Most OpenBSD die-hards will smack you hard if you don't treat that FAQ like a well-read bible from which you can recite chapter/verse.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!