Why?

Story: Working Windows 95 Port for AndroidTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
r_a_trip

Jul 20, 2010
7:50 AM EDT
The obvious question is WHY? - jhansonxi

Short answer: Because it can be done.

Longer answer. Because it is a challenge. Because Windows 95 is lightweight enough to run under emulation on the current smartphones. Maybe even for the nostalgia connected with Windows 95. For many it was their first encounter with a "real" graphical OS.

Windows 95/OSR1/OSR2 was a POS, but even I remember it as a spark of hope. I was forced by the realities of life to abandon my Amiga 500 for MS-DOS and that for me was a horrid experience. Windows 95 was a promise that the hostile PC could one day reach the same level of my beloved Workbench 3.x. (It did and surpassed it with Linux in the early months of the year 2000).

So it is cool to see that the old dinosaur W95 is still around to show its face from time to time.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 20, 2010
8:33 AM EDT
Well your right r_a_ ... Just reliving old times.

I cannot find the quote, but Gates finally admitted Win 95 was unstable and would crash every forty some hours [edit wrong - it was days+]. I fondly remember remarking to my son, that I would settle for that time in minutes. Ah old times, they were great*.

YBT

* About that time I first read about Linux ... it took years to build the nerve to try it with Red Hat 5.0 (Actually Mandrake) and then the real RH version 5.2. But back then I still could not get a printer to work. I can no longer remember why or how I began messing with batch scripts [before I even knew what they were] to get functionality I needed.

+ I was getting crashes in the minutes, so I would have gladly trades the days for hours.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!