Use PAE kernel to support 4gb+ RAM in 32bit linux.

Story: Stop Apologizing For Linux!Total Replies: 6
Author Content
tmx

Jul 17, 2010
1:35 AM EDT
This one is for newer users, so experts can skip the read.

Using PAE (Physical Address Extension) kernel will let you take advantage of more than 3.25gb of RAM while staying with 32bit.

However, its easier to install it after a fresh install of your distro because if you switch from the generic kernel to the PAE, you'll need to recompile (or uninstall and reinstall) your video card driver and a rare amount of apps as well.

For Ubuntu, you can install PAE kernel by: aptitude install linux-headers-server linux-image-server linux-server For Debian: aptitude install linux-image-2.6-686-bigmem (replace "2.6" with the current kernel version)

GRUB list will update and you can choose to boot between the generic or PAE kernel.
helios

Jul 17, 2010
10:29 AM EDT
Great point. I personally do not see any real performance increase between 32 and 64 bit Linux and by running the 32 bit system I don't have to fool with the flash drama. I am running an Opteron dual core overclocked to 2.5 gigs with 4 gigs of ram and installed the PAE kernel to get the full use of my ram. It took about 3 minutes including reboot.

Worked flawlessly and without the problems usually associated in upgrading the Kernel.

Bob_Robertson

Jul 17, 2010
4:21 PM EDT
Ok, TMX, just a small correction,

In Debian, it's called "bigmem". So something to the effect of linux-image-2.6.26-1-686-bigmem would be what to look for in aptitude, dselect, or whatever.
tracyanne

Jul 17, 2010
7:36 PM EDT
I use 64 bit Linux on my 64 bit quad core (core 2 Duo) laptop, I'm able to load upto 8 Gig of RAM on this machine (it's been nobbled to a max of 8 Gig, but I couldn't afford the next one up that allowed more RAM). I got this machine because it was the minimum I could get that allowed me to run mutiple Virtual machines.

It's true my partner barely uses the 3 Gig that's on her machine, And nor do any of my clients. BUT That's Not The Point. Ubuntu are advertising 64 bit Ubuntu in such a way it looks like there is something wrong with it. That's the point. They should stop doing this immediately.

It's hard enough to promote Linux without a major Linux vendor sending messages that Linux isn't quite good enough.
gus3

Jul 17, 2010
10:33 PM EDT
They should re-word it, but this is the cold, hard reality:

Will 32-bits run on a 64-bit computer? Yes. Will 64-bits run on a 32-bit computer? No.

32 bits is guaranteed to run on either type, so 32 bits is the safe choice for installation. Not so for 64 bits. If you're a server admin, you probably already know that, but you're the minority-case for Ubuntu users.
tracyanne

Jul 18, 2010
2:37 AM EDT
No gus the cold hard reality is that Canonical appear to be appologising for Linux, as if Linu is not quite good enough, especially the 64 bit version. I bought my laptop a 64 bit machine with 8 Gig of RAM pre installed. The tec h at the company I bought it from installed teh 32 bit version of Ubuntu. When I complained I was told they only support 32 bit Ubuntu because 64 Bit ubuntu is not recommended for general computing, and it's the owners risk to install the 64 bit version.

Now there are two things that are really stupid here. 1/ What's the point of a computer with 8 Gig of RAM and an OS that can't address more than 4 Gig and 2/ the meme that Canonicals caveat creates.... That there is something about 64 Bit Linux that makes is a risk to use.

First it's no more risky than any other version of Linux, and far less risky than any version of Windows I've installed, that includes 7 and Sever 2008.

The text needs to be changed to better inform, rather than create a misunderstanding, as it does now.
gus3

Jul 18, 2010
9:17 AM EDT
Like I said, they should re-word it. It shouldn't be an apology.

But yes, there is a risk with 64-bit Linux. There is a risk with 64-bit anything.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!