Also a 'patent story' to read :

Story: Hacking through the Software Patent ThicketsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
henke54

Jul 16, 2010
4:46 PM EDT
quote from Roy Van Rijn :
Quoting:This scared me a bit, why are they emailing me? I've written some code (100% my own) and implemented my own methods for matching music. There are some key differences with the algorithm Shazam uses.

The code isn't published yet, but I was planning on releasing it under Apache License to the open source community soon.

It was never my intension to release this commercially, I'm just a programmer who likes to work on technical, mathematical algorithms in his spare time. And if enough people ask for the source code, I'd be happy to give it to them. Who would have thought that creating something at home in a weekend could result in a possible patent infringement!?

Just to be sure I asked them confirmation that the email was indeed sent from their company. And second, I'd like to know which patents are in play. Because I just couldn't think that something this easy (music-fingerprint is a hash, and we do a lookup) can be patented.. Maybe in the States, but in Europe?

I got the following reply from Landmark Digital Services LLC:
http://sites.google.com/site/redcodenl/
bigg

Jul 16, 2010
4:58 PM EDT
Roy Van Rijn is a freeloader who just wants to take without paying for it. The world will come to an end if he is allowed to continue his current practices. Hooray for Landmark Digital Services LLC for being so patriotic.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 18, 2010
6:33 AM EDT
Bigg, you forgot your sarcasm tags...
DarrenR114

Jul 19, 2010
1:44 PM EDT
I saw the sarcasm tags just fine from my browser - you must need to upgrade, Sander.

Haven't you downloaded the latest vaporware version of IE from Ballmer's Brain, yet?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!