Great mutt article

Story: A Good Old DogTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 09, 2010
5:36 PM EDT
I've battled with mutt, but it's been a long time. What's great about this article is that includes the text for a .muttrc that will work with Gmail. You can basically roll this into your own .muttrc and be productive with e-mail in Mutt.

Don't quote me, but I might just try it.

The question I left on the original entry has to do with the MTA. He asks the user to add postfix but doesn't address how to deal with postfix and mutt together. I remember using a different MTA when I ran mutt, but for the life of me I can't remember how I configured it.
telanoc

Jun 09, 2010
6:01 PM EDT
From what I'm seeing on my machine, there's a 'sendmail=' configuration option in the global /etc/Muttrc file that you could override in your local .muttrc file. The default on this old Fedora 9 system is

set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi"

Steven_Rosenber

Jun 09, 2010
6:35 PM EDT
So sendmail is the default, and since postfix emulates sendmail, that's what you need to make it work. But isn't there some configuration you need to do to the MTA to make the whole mess work?

That's what sent me running away from console-based mail - it's a rabbit hole of endless helper programs and configuration files with very little guidance as to how to make it all work.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 09, 2010
7:11 PM EDT
Quoting:But isn't there some configuration you need to do to the MTA to make the whole mess work?

Yes, you need to setup smarthost delivery so your local MTA (Postfix or whatever) delivers the mail to your ISP. In Postfix, it's just 3 lines of configuration. On Debian (with Exim) I can simply run `dpkg reconfigure exim4` and follow the steps in the wizard.
rht

Jun 09, 2010
7:41 PM EDT
Most respectable MTAs have a note in their documentation on how to configure the "set sendmail" entry in Mutt.

I am just about to embark on a 3000m (5000km) roadtrip during which I will have sporadic Net access. I am using Dragonfly Mail Agent as my MTA and fetchmail. Configuration of the MUA -- in my case, a shell script -- was simply a matter of using Dragonfly's queueing facility. The queue is flushed by hand (sudo dma -q0) as and when Net connection is available and reliable.

This begs the question: How difficult is it to set up (a) DMA and (b) fetchmail. Answer: Fetchmail has the best documented man page I've ever seen -- thank you ESR; and DMA is easier to set up than fetchmail.

Why users who do not require all the options and capabilities of the Big Four -- sendmail, Postfix, Exim, qmail -- continue to use them is beyond me.
jdixon

Jun 09, 2010
7:46 PM EDT
> Why users who do not require all the options and capabilities of the Big Four -- sendmail, Postfix, Exim, qmail -- continue to use them is beyond me.

Because that's what their distro comes with, and it works. You know the old adage, if it ain't broke...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!