Here we go again

Story: Ubuntu 10.04 Screenshot Tour - Installation and DesktopTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
djohnston

Apr 30, 2010
8:38 AM EDT
Alright, kiddies, gather 'round for the new kid in town. 'Nother month of 'buntu screenshots, how-tos, testimonials, and fan-gushings. Well, let's hope other news makes it to the forefront, as well.
nikkels

Apr 30, 2010
9:22 AM EDT
Got a question.

Does Ubuntu has an option to install the bootloader in a partition of my choice, meaning actually in sda11 on my HD if I decide to install. I am presently using GAG bootmanager for all my installs, and it suits me just fine

Thanks

Nikkels
tuxchick

Apr 30, 2010
9:36 AM EDT
nikkels, get the version with the text installer, that lets you customize the installation, including the bootloader.
nikkels

Apr 30, 2010
9:55 AM EDT
Tuxchick, thanks a stack. Will do so.
pmpatrick

Apr 30, 2010
10:15 AM EDT
Nikkels, you don't need to install in text mode to install the bootloader to a partition. At a certain point in the graphical installation you will get a summary screen after you go through all your choices and before files start being copied to your selected partition(s). In the lower right hand corner of that summary screen is a button titled "Advanced". If you click on the Advanced button, you are given the option to install the bootloader to a partition. If you don't do that, the bootloader will be installed to the mbr.

Another issue with installing the ubuntu bootloader, grub2, to a partition, you can expect problems trying to chainload grub2 from a previously installed grub1. I couldn't get that to work myself. Wound up copying over the ubuntu 10.04 vmlinuz and initrd to my grub legacy partition and configuring the grub legacy menu.lst to boot from there.
kingttx

Apr 30, 2010
1:38 PM EDT
I think it's time to back up everything and do a fresh install this time. I've been running version upgrades instead of fresh installs ever since I got my Dell 530 with Ubuntu and I'm sure I'm missing some stuff that the newest versions have. Call it a nagging suspicion rather than evidence.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 30, 2010
4:12 PM EDT
I can second the advice to click the "advanced" button in order to put the bootloader somewhere other than the Master Boot Record.

When I upgraded my Debian Lenny install to Squeeze, one thing that did go right was the update from Grub 1 to Grub 2. First it chainloaded from the existing Grub 1 into Grub 2, then when I was "ready" to make the move permanent, there was a script installed on the system that I ran to replace Grub 1 with Grub 2. Worked like a charm (and if it isn't obvious, Debian's Grub 2 is a bit more polished than Ubuntu's, possibly because Debian's is set to display while Ubuntu hides its boot menu - though you can make it appear by holding down the shift key while you're booting).
nikkels

Apr 30, 2010
9:48 PM EDT
pmpatrick and Steven....Thanks

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!