What is Bordeaux for?

Story: Bordeaux Group Announces License Agreement With StormOS to Develop Bordeaux 2.2 User InterfaceTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
Alcibiades

Feb 26, 2010
6:47 AM EDT
I don't understand what it Bordeaux is FOR.

Is it just a Wine wrapper? Does it add any value? Does it contribute back to Wine? Codeweavers, one does understand. There is an active development line that adds features and contributes back. Wine has greatly improved as a result. What has Bordeaux contributed back?

And what is this 'exclusive license to distribute intellectual property'? What is intellectual property? What intellectual property is that that is being licensed? One keeps reading this stuff, one sometimes has the impression that Bordeaux thinks it is Wine, which it clearly is not, and the situation gets no clearer with successive pieces. Finally one gets irritated enough to post this sort of thing.

twickline

Feb 26, 2010
12:49 PM EDT
Bordeaux is a commercial version of Wine just like CodeWeavers is. We have given back ALL of our changes to Wine and to all the other tools we use. We file bug reports and try our best to improve Wine and all the needed tools that goes with getting Wine to compile and run on multiple platforms.

'exclusive license to distribute intellectual property'

Our build scripts and our UI is closed source, just like CodeWeavers! So therefore it is "intellectual property"

We don't think we are Wine, and we have never thought that. Where did you get this WRONG impression?

Cheers, Tom

Steven_Rosenber

Feb 26, 2010
1:39 PM EDT
Bordeaux promised easy installation of the IrfanView image viewer/editor, and it delivered on that promise.

I'm not sure exactly which parts of the Bordeaux/Wine system are from Bordeaux, but they do make it very easy to install a whole bunch of popular apps such as MS Office, Photoshop, etc.

They have a thing called "cellars" - not sure if that's Bordeaux or wine.
twickline

Feb 26, 2010
3:05 PM EDT
A Cellar = a wineprefixes and Bordeaux has a cellar manager. like CodeWeavers has a bottle manager. They are just wineprefix managers with nicer names.

Cheers, Tom
tracyanne

Feb 26, 2010
6:58 PM EDT
Quoting:Our build scripts and our UI is closed source, just like CodeWeavers! So therefore it is "intellectual property"

There is no such thing as Intellectual Property. There is Copyrighted and there is patented, these are examples of Intellectual monopolies, I'm assuming that your code is Proprietary Copyrighted, so you are exercising the right given to you by the government to retain a monopoly on the code you have written. As is also your right, as you are the copyright holders, you have licensed the use of your code to StormOS. No property, Intellectual or otherwise was involved.

That said, I like the way your code works.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 26, 2010
8:24 PM EDT
I had heard that Ubuntu was going to do a deal with Codeweavers - what happened with that?
twickline

Feb 27, 2010
8:28 AM EDT
Hello Steven,

The CodeWeavers on Ubuntu is just rumor.. :) Canonical the company behind Ubuntu did a poll asking people what Windows software they would most like to see in a future release. Most of the software they ask about in the poll CodeWeavers already supports.

Tom

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!