Most Linux applications are available in precompiled package

Story: The Problem with FOSS Software on an FOSS Operating SystemTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 23, 2010
1:37 PM EDT
And tens of thousands of those package are easily installed via the onboard package management.

There are plenty of packages that aren't part of a given distro's repository, but it's generally not hard to find that package and, Windows- or Mac-style, download it and install it locally.

I prefer to use things from a repository because of the automatic updating, but there are about a half-dozen things I have installed on my Debian box with .deb packages.

I did it for awhile with some things from the Debian Multimedia but finally just added that repo to my /etc/apt/sources.list.
techiem2

Feb 23, 2010
1:43 PM EDT
Yes, basically the author seemed to be complaining that every new/updated program isn't immediately packaged for distro X by the authors and don't always compile on distro X. To which most of us would respond that that is a ridiculous burden to place on the program authors as they have better things to do than build packages for every common distro and test compilation on every common distro every time they release an update.
bigg

Feb 23, 2010
1:50 PM EDT
There are a few things that should be said. This is a common newbie complaint, because they only complain about areas in which Linux is not as easy for them as Windows.

First, FOSS package management is much easier with Linux. That point is not debatable.

Second, if you want to compile your own software, use a distro designed to allow you to easily compile your own packages and live on the bleeding edge.

Third, the project decides to support Windows and not support Linux distros. They might have good reasons for doing so, but this is entirely the choice of the project. You will have the same problem with Windows if you want to install FOSS compilers (or at least you did back when I used Windows). This is a problem with the individual project, and has little to do with Linux.

Finally

Quoting:A couple more popular instances of an experiences I have had similair to this would be trying to install FireFox or OpenOffice.org from the Linux download they provide on their respective homepages (something I have done in the past and will not soon repeat).

These two programs are very easy to install from the download. Just download, right click, choose extract here. For security purposes, unlike Windows, you should not install in your home directory.
tracyanne

Feb 24, 2010
7:31 AM EDT
The bloke is a tosser. He extrapolates from one small game that not even Ubuntu has picked up, and added to the repository, that software is difficult to install on Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!