.docx

Story: Has the Irresistible Rise of OpenOffice.org Begun?Total Replies: 8
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Feb 09, 2010
10:52 PM EDT
Having had to open a couple of .docx MS-Office documents recently, it's obvious that Microsoft continues to try to mess with the formats to lock out competition.

At every turn, I advocate OpenOffice, and several people have discovered it works just fine at a fraction of the cost (as if division by zero is just fine).

Now, as to what Oracle is going to do...
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 09, 2010
11:50 PM EDT
Viva RDF!
gus3

Feb 10, 2010
12:25 AM EDT
@Bob:

$0 against any amount of currency is 0/N, which is a valid fraction for any proprietary, non-gratis package. There's no SIGFPE in that calculation.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 10, 2010
12:52 AM EDT
Forgive me, I was using an original Pentium for the math function.
tuxchick

Feb 10, 2010
1:03 AM EDT
Lol, you lads is on a roll today :)
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 15, 2010
7:11 PM EDT
My kingdom for a math coprocessor!
hkwint

Feb 17, 2010
8:51 AM EDT
Hey, you know what's funny:

I was reading the 'internet tidal wave' recently, some memo by Bill Gates blaming the lack of documents in 'MS formats' on the web. It was obvious to Bill Gates 15 years ago that people might not need Microsoft in the future, and to prevent such the web -should be full of it.

XML came, than OOXML came, then it was standardized, and it was made mandatory in new 'trialware' to lock people into OOXML on new computers.

Nonetheless, I never had to open a 'docx' document as of yet. ODF formats not much either, from time to time though.

So I think - though I'm not statistical relevant - that MS might have failed to push OOXML. Or government settled on PDF BTW it seems.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 17, 2010
9:41 AM EDT
> Nonetheless, I never had to open a 'docx' document as of yet. ODF formats not much either, from time to time though.

They were forms from other people, sent to me by email. Not "off the web", technically speaking.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 18, 2010
9:04 AM EDT
@Steven: RDF is almost as big a mess as OOXML is. But the spec is only a few hundred pages of mess instead of over 6000.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!