Silly recommendation

Story: Stay away from OpenOffice.org until Oracle shows commitment, analyst saysTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
r_a_trip

Jan 22, 2010
6:59 AM EDT
Yes, drop OOo until Oracle heavily invests in it. Brilliant. Why should Oracle invest in something that seems to be shunned?

If anything now is the time to jump on OOo/StarOffice to send the signal to Oracle they can't afford to drop the ball on OOo. Oracle needs to know there is money to be made with it.
gus3

Jan 22, 2010
10:23 AM EDT
If Oracle decides to spin off OOo, who would you like to see buy it?
dinotrac

Jan 22, 2010
10:38 AM EDT
Gus -

Oracle does not own OpenOffice. It was spun off by Sun and is its own entity. The speculation in the article -- and that's all that it is -- rises from the level of support that Sun gave to the project.
gus3

Jan 22, 2010
11:02 AM EDT
Ah, okay. Maybe I was living in a monastery when that happened. Yeah, that must be why I missed it.
DiBosco

Jan 22, 2010
11:44 AM EDT
Yep, Gus, those Belgian monks brew some quite nice beers it must be said. ;~)
Koriel

Jan 22, 2010
1:24 PM EDT
Hey maybe Microsoft will buy it, ........................just kidding :)

OR AM I

hkwint

Jan 23, 2010
12:02 AM EDT
Quoting:Yep, Gus, those Belgian monks brew some quite nice beers it must be said. ;~)

Yeah, Belgian monks don't strike, like those nasty workers at the largest brewery in the world InBev AB in Jupille. We here in the Netherlands almost had to brew our own Belgian beer, this was really planned by InBev! Belgium however almost ran out of Jupiler. Can you imagine? "The horror... The horror... The horror" Marlon Brando would say.
DiBosco

Jan 23, 2010
7:03 AM EDT
You brew quite good Belgian Style beer at La Trappe in Tilburg, hk! I always used to think Jupiler was JupiTer.
gus3

Jan 23, 2010
8:25 AM EDT
Not beer, actually. This place has its own vineyard, and the microclimate makes a unique bouquet in the region.
hkwint

Jan 23, 2010
1:50 PM EDT
I live 20km from Tilburg, but never tasted LaTrappe. Next time I go to the Belgian Beer cafe I should give it a try, thanks for the suggestion.

And I always thought Juniper was Jupiler, because Jupiler networks sounds quite OK. Bwah, al those confusing names...

But Belgian wine, never tasted that nor saw it in stores. Sounds interesting.
DiBosco

Jan 23, 2010
3:21 PM EDT
By Brother in Law lives in Tilburg, we had a nice tour round the brewery a couple of years back. Well worth a visit.
hkwint

Jan 23, 2010
3:29 PM EDT
Coincidentally, that's just what I was thinking about. But I'm afraid I hijacked yet another conversation. Not that Oracle is more interesting than Belgian beer, but sorry anyway.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!