And it's so wrong

Story: David and Goliath II: i4i Wins (Again) over MicrosoftTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tracyanne

Dec 23, 2009
4:19 PM EDT
Given what appears to be the case, I suppose it's something to celebrate.

It just feels so wrong celebrating the upholding of a software patent.
techiem2

Dec 23, 2009
5:23 PM EDT
Yes. The fact that MS did something wrong willingly and got caught and ruled against for it is nice.

But the fact that it was a software patent that in all likelyhood shouldn't be valid to begin with...

Sadly, as has been mentioned, we likely won't get the pleasure of seeing Word-Free shelves as they stated they will have a fixed version ready by the injunction date (and probably already do).

gus3

Dec 23, 2009
5:46 PM EDT
@ta:

It's more of a case of scadenfreude that M$ got a taste of the rules they want to foist on everyone else, but don't want for themselves. They got socked twice:

--first, fthey got caught knowingly violating a patent with the intention of gutting i4i's business

--second, they were denied their usual tactic of plunking down ca$h in exchange for a settlement, so they can continue with business as usual

Besides, for this case, the future (in)validity of the patent is immaterial. If M$ wanted to challenge the patent's validity, they went about it the totally wrong way.
tracyanne

Dec 23, 2009
6:11 PM EDT
I think they had no intention of challenging the patents validity. That would have set a precedent, and I'm quite certain Microsoft don't want that sort of thing hanging over them, should they wish to sue someone else over patents.
jsusanka

Dec 24, 2009
10:50 AM EDT
maybe this will help in getting their ooxml so called standard withdrawn from ISO. you can't have a standard that has infringed on patents.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!